Healthy Greek Recipes

/
0 Comments
Hi Friends,

Today I'm going to help you eat & cook out of your comfort zone . A few years ago my boyfriend took me on a trip around the world, 7 different countries in 3 months. I had the time of my life! My top 2 destinations were Greece and Japan. Since I can't make sushi or tempura I figured I would feature a few of my favorite Greek recipes.

Greece is made up of many island so it's rich in seafood and produce. I ate like a fat girl and ended up gaining 30 pounds on that trip. I think I gained most of my weight in France and Germany but who really knows. I truly ate my way around the world. 

My favorite Greek dish is Spanakopita, small spinach filled pastries. The flakiness of the crust and the flavor of the spinach always blows me away. This recipe is low-fat but tastes just like the real thing and it even boyfriend approved!

Healthy Mini Spanakopita

1 spanakopita = 43 cals, 2g fat

1-10 oz package fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup low fat feta cheese, crumbled 
1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
2 tsp olive oil
1-1/2 cups green onions, chopped
1-1/2 cups fresh dill 
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 tbs olive oil
1/4 tsp salt 
1 large egg white
5 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Filling:

Place spinach in a large skillet on medium heat
Cook until spinach wilts

Place spinach in colander and press until barely moist

Combine spinach and feta, cottage & Parmesan cheese
Set aside 
Heat 2 tbsp olive oil on med high heat

Add green onions and sauté for 2 minutes or until soft, remove from heat 

Stir green onions, dill, lemon juice, salt, pepper, 2 egg whites into spinach & cheese mixture

Time to wrap:
Combine 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 egg white in small bowl, stir with whisk 
Working with one piece of phyllo sheet at a time 
Cut each sheet lengthwise into 4 (3-1/2 inch wide) strips

Lightly brush dough with egg mixture
**make sure to keep remaining phyllo dough cover with a towel so it doesn't dry out

Place another sheet of phyllo dough top and brush again with egg mixture
Spoon 1 tbsp spinach mixture onto one end of strip
Fold one corner of opposite end over mixture, forming a triangle

Keep folding over and over keeping the triangle shape until you reach the end of the strip

Place triangle seam side down on a oiled or parchment paper lined cooking sheet
Brush each triangle with egg mixture
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown


Makes 4 servings
1 serving is 2 pieces

You need something to drip these bad boys in. I heart tzatziki, on spanakopita, pita chips, raw veggies. Pretty much any food that gets this delicious dip into my mouth it just perfect. Plus it's easy to make. What more do you want???

Health Tzatziki

9 calories, 0 g fat per serving
2 tbsp is one serving

1 cup grated, seeded, peeled, cucumber
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup plan non-fat Greek yogurt
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
2 tsp chopped fresh dill
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 cloves garlic, pressed

Place cucumber in small container

Sprinkle with sea salt
Place in fridge for 30 minutes
Grate cucumber

Combine cucumber with the rest of the ingredients 


Stir until blended well
Refrigerate for an hour 

Serve with spanakopita, raw vegetables or pita chips

That's all today folks!
Peace & Love,
Mary

All recipes were found at Cooking Light 

 

 






You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *