My Favorite Bed Time Yoga Poses

/
0 Comments
Casper is a new sleep company that's launching this spring with an outrageously comfortable mattress! They contacted me about their newest project "Bed-time Yoga Poses". Today I am sharing my favoirte bed-time yoga poses with all of you. Enjoy

It's finally time to go to bed, I have my pajamas on, hair up in a messy ponytail, face washed, mind at ease (sometimes) but my body is still active. This happens to me every night, it's time to catch some ZZZ's but my body is ready to run a marathon. Certain parts of my body are always sore,  usually my legs, core or arms sometimes, depending on my workout, everything aches. In my line of work soreness is the name of the game. I do not like taking pills or using stinky ointments. 

As much as I just want to lay down and instantly fall asleep my body will not allow that. It needs stretching. If I don't stretch my legs will cramp up, which is utterly tear-jerkingly painful. I've been stretching before bed time on and off for the last 8 years. Since I lost over 150+ pounds my body needs to be pushed, pulled, and contorted as much as possible. 

There is nothing more satisfying then a nice long deep stretch before bedtime. It relives built up tension in muscles and sends a signal to my brain that says: "Sleep time is coming, Sleep time is coming, SLEEP TIME IS COMING!!!" 

Bed time yoga not only helps me sleep better it centers my energy, and quiets my brain. On top of all that it also makes me feel sexy. Pushing, pulling and stretching, discarding all the hustle the day is necessary. It's my own personal yoga class where I don't have to pay, worry about peeps judging my outdated outfit, or teachers coming around to check my form. This is my time to do whatever my body wants to do. Sometimes I end up in inappropriate positions with my booty high in the air while my boobs start falling out of my bra and that's the fun of it. I don't have to impress anyone, I move the way my body tells me to. 

Here are some of my favorite bedtime yoga poses:
Tree Pose
I enjoy the grounding sensation I get in my standing leg after this pose, my standing foot feels like strong roots of a tree. 
  • Standing firm shifting your body weight to your right side 
  • Once knee is locked feeling solid, sturdy, and secure lift left leg up positioning your left foot in the inner part of your upper thigh as close to your private parts as comfortable
  • Both legs are being stretched in different directions
  • Once feet feel secure place your hands in payer in front of your chest or reach both hands out to the sides palms facing up
  • Stay in this position for as long as you can
  • Once your leg signals surrender slowly bring hands down to sides and place both feet firmly on the ground
  • Repeat on left side
Bed Hogger
I cannot take credit for this invigorating full body stretch, my boyfriend taught me this one. I should say he tortured me with this one for the last few years. I hated this stretch because it kicked me out of bed, I hated it until I tried it, now I understand his obsession. 
It's a full body stretch targeting legs, arms and core/lower back.
  • Laying on your right side gently stretch your left leg over your right leg slightly bending it
  • You should instantly feel the stretch in your obliques, inner thighs, quads, and hamstrings in both legs
  • Stretch both arms out like airplane wings, taking up as much space as needed
  • Hold for up to 2-3 minutes 
  • Repeat on left side
Bridge
I love anything that makes me invert my head, handstands, headstands, you name it I like it. This next pose creates that blood curling sensations by putting your head upside down and stretching every vertebra in your spine, while challenging your core. 
I've been doing bridges since I was 10 years old so this might be an advanced pose if your are a beginner
  • Start on the floor laying on your back, belly pointing towards the sky
  • Lift both hands in the air and bend at your elbows
  • Place your palms on the ground
  • This might seem backwards and slightly uncomfortable, that means your doing it right
  • You should instantly feel a stretch in your shoulders
  • Make sure your feet are firmly planted on the ground, about hip width apart
  • If you are a beginner stay here for a while to get used to the sensation
  • When you feel comfortable use your core to push your butt, stomach and chest up until your body forms a bridge
  • Try to hold this position for 30-60 seconds
Yes, all the blood in your head will rush to your brain, it's an awkward sensation but it's good to interrupt your natural blood flow, replacing old blood with new blood
Yogies believe age is determined by the flexibility of your spine. I want to stay young as long as possible
Happy Giraffe
I also stole this one form my man. He's usually the remote controller, picking shows, fast forwarding through commercials, etc. Yes, I do give him a lot of power, but he's earned it. A few times a week he gets in this position and tells me he's stretching and cannot be in charge of the remote. 
He finally broke the stretch down to me a few months ago and I love it. It's a perfect "getting ready for bed" stretch. The happy giraffe stretches your neck, which I usually always forget to do. 
  • Laying on your stomach glue your arms together from elbows to wrist
  • Place the palms of your hands as close to your neck as possible, cradling the back part of your chin
  • Make sure your elbows are resting on the bed
  • Slowly and carefully stretch your neck by slightly tilting your chin back, hold it there resting your chin completely in your hands 
  • This feels great and triggers sleepy time for me
  • Place a pillow under your elbows for better leverage and a much deeper stretch
  • Be careful with your neck!!!
It's usually the last stretch I do before I go to bed.
That's all I have for you guys today!
Enjoy your weekend!
Peace & Love,
Mary 








CasperCasperCasper


You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *