Breathing Techniques

/
0 Comments
It's breathing exercise time!

I'm taking full advantage of breathing since I've been stuffy for the last week or so, nothing like open air passages to brighten anyones day. I've always been a breather, in some sense everyone is, I use breathing techniques daily to calm myself down when I'm angry and to help me go to sleep when counting sheep doesn't work. I also practice controlling my breathing while working out, nothing like panting like a dog when teaching a workout class. 

This weeks Self-Improvement challenge to breath is something that can improve your quality of life. I only ask you to be open minded these techniques seem silly but the benefits can be life changing. 

Breathing techniques play an important role in every day life and overcoming obstacles, relieving everyday tension, recovery from depression and anxiety and much much more. 


Bhastrika Pranayama aka Bellows Breath

Benefits of this techniques: 

  • Raises vital energy and increase alertness
  • Produces good energy boost and substitute for a caffeine fix
  • When done correctly you should feel invigorated with a heightened sense of awareness


How to do it:

  • Inhale and exhale rapidly through your nose, keep mouth relaxed and closed
  • Breaths in and out should be equal in duration and as short as possible
  • It will be noisy
  • Use diaphragm to push air out of stomach 
  • After 5 breaths breath normally for 15 seconds
  • Each time you practice this technique increase your time by five seconds or more until you reach a full minute 



4-7-8 aka Relaxing Breath Exercise 

Benefits of this techniques:
  • Raises vital energy and increase alertness
  • Produces a good energy boost


How to do it:

  • Sit with back straight while learning this exercise 
  • Place tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue behind your upper front teeth, keep it there throughout the entire exercise
  • Exhale through your mouth and around your tongue
  • Inhale for 4 counts
  • Hold breath for 7 counts
  • Exhale for 8 counts
  • Exhale complete through your mouth making a whoosh sound
  • That's one breath 
  • Inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths 


Lions Breath 

Benefits of this techniques:

  • Relieves tension in the face by stretching jaw and tongue
  • Relieves stress and anxiety

How to do it:

  • Kneel with your butt resting on your feet, place hands on your knees, this exercise can be done in any position
  • Place your hands on you knees
  • Inhale through the nose
  • Exhale through the mouth making a "ha" sound
  • As you exhale open your mouth wide and stick your tongue out as fas as possible towards your chin
  • Allow both eyes to look towards the ceiling
  • Inhale, returning to a neutral face
  • Repeat 3-5 times


Peace & Love, 
Mary


techniques found at:

www.drweil.com
www.yoga.about.com



You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *