Quick & Easy Salads

/
0 Comments
Hi Friends
Today I'm sharing some quick and easy salad recipes. This weeks nutrition challenge is to eat more salads, and it's my job to help you do that. Everyone knows how to make regular leafy green salads, a few tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, some nuts to add crunch, and a yummy cheese is the standard salad in my house. But what happens when I'm tried of chewing lettuce, and I still need/want a salad? That's where these recipes come in, I'm featuring 3 salads that are not lettuce based. Happy Cooking



Celery & Parmesan Salad


I really like celery, but I don't eat it as much as I should

Benefits of eating celery
  • Celery reduces inflammation
  • Minerals in celery soothes the nervous system
  • Eating a celery based snack in the evening will help you sleep better
  • Celery aids in digestion
  • Celery reduces "bad" cholesterol
  • Celery can lower blood pressure
  • Celery can fight off certain cancers, breast and pancreas
Celery facts found at www.care2.com

Now that we have all the facts lets tackle the salad

1/2 cup "good" olive oil
2 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tbs lemon juice
1/4 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs minced shallots
1 tsp celery salt
dash of sea salt
dash of pepper
5 cups thinly sliced celery hearts cut at on angle about 12 stalks
flat leaf parsley for garnish
  1. Whisk together olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, shallots, celery salt, sea salt, and pepper
  2. Place celery in bowl with 1tbs lemon juice and 1/2 tsp salt, mix well
  3. Add the rest of the dressing and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow celery to crisp and flavor to develop
  4. When ready to serve top with grated or shaved Parmesan cheese and parsley
recipe found at www.foodnetwork.com

This salad is easy, crisp, and refreshing. It's perfect of lunch or a BBQ. I try to keep a bowl of the salad in the refrigerator at all times. One serving is about a 1/2 cup.

Tomato & Red Onion Salad


This is an 'Evolve with Mary' special. My boyfriend is Italian and he loves tomatoes and onions. With heirloom tomatoes currently in season, it's the perfect excuse to put this simple salad together. Since I've eaten at many fancy Italian restaurants, I decided to make up my own Tomato and onion salad. There are no special ingredients, but you can taste the love oozing out of every tomato. 
Benefits of eating Heirloom Tomatoes
  • Heirloom tomatoes are rich in Vitamin C which nourishes the adrenal glans and reduces stress
  • Heirloom tomatoes are full of potassium, which can lower blood pressure and aid in lower the risks of heart attacks
  • Heirloom tomatoes are a good source of vitamin K which keeps your bones, healthy and strong
Heirloom tomato facts found at www.chatelaine.com

Benefits of eating raw Red Onions:
  • Eating raw red onions can prevent breast cancer
  • A regular consumption of raw red onions enhances proper function of the arteries
  • Onions enhances skin complexion
  • Onions can lower blood pressure 
Onion Facts found at www.freshplaza.com

Salad Time

1 cup heirloom tomatoes  
I couldn't find any good large heirloom tomatoes, so I opted to use the small ones, either works
1/2 raw red onion, ***finely sliced
make sure there are no large onions in salad, eating large raw red onions tend to be spicy 
1-2 tbs "good" olive oil
1-2 tbs "good" balsamic vinegar
pinch salt
pinch pepper
  1. Combine all ingredients
  2. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour
  3. Enjoy!
How easy is that??? You can also add some basil leaves and mozzarella cheese to make a more complexed salad. 

Quinoa & Black Bean Salad


I've featured this salad in a previous post, and I couldn't resist featuring it again. If you never try any of my recipes, this is the one recipe you should try. The flavors will not blow you away, but somehow whenever I make and consume this salad I always loose 1-2 pounds that week, my body tightens up, and I'm in pure bliss. I make sure to always keep this salad in my fridge. I need all the help I can get!

Benefits of eating Quinoa
  • Quinoa is a Super Food!
  • Quinoa is full of essential vitamins
    • b6
    • thiamine
    • niacin
    • potassium
  • Quinoa is full of minerals
    • copper 
    • zinc
    • magnesium
    • folate
  • Quinoa is full of antioxidants
    • phytonutrients quercetin
    • kaempferol
  • Quinoa is a good source of protein
Quinoa facts found at www.activebeat.com

1 cup Quinoa 
2 cups vegetable stock
1 can black beans
1 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
  1. Boil Quinoa according to package, replacing vegetable stock for water
  2. Once Quinoa is fully cooked, rinse well
  3. Add black beans, carrots, cilantro
  4. Season with salt and pepper to taste

*I like to eat this salad with 1/2 of a baked sweet potato 

I really enjoyed writing this posting. I hope you all enjoyed reading it as much as I did.
Blessings, 
Mary  








You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *