Tips to cut your sodium intake

/
0 Comments
Hi Friends!

I took a break from writing yesterday but I'm back and ready to work. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure when I was 12 years old, my doctor made me come into the hospital once a week to keep an eye on it. It was an annoyance but slowly it improved. I had no idea why my blood pressure was be high at such an young age until now. Looking back my diet was horrible. We ate southern style, that's lots of butter, salt and pork. Not much processed food, just delicious un-nutritious fried foods that contained an absurd amount of sodium.

Looking back at my past I realize why I'm now slightly obsessed with everything that goes into my mouth. I love having control over my diet. I love eating salads and vegetables everyday. I enjoy restricting my diet at my whim. All those years of not caring are long behind me.

A lot of my family are still dealing with symptoms of eating high sodium foods. Some get bloated, some go to the doctor on a regular bases and some just ignore it. 

These tips will help you cut down on your sodium intake which can lead to heart disease and the thinning of artery lining among other things.

Read labels

  • Purchase "low sodium" products when buying processed foods
  • *the best bet is to avoid processed foods all together
  • Eat whole grain rice and past that does not have any added seasoning or unnatural flavoring 
Eat more fresh foods

  • Most fruits and vegetables are low in sodium
  • Avoid processed lunch meat, bacon, hot dogs, sausage, and ham
  • Eat fresh meat instead
  • Ask your local butcher or read labels to make sure your fresh or frozen meat hasn't  been injected with a solution that contains high amounts of sodium
Cut the salt from recipes 

  • Purchase cookbooks that focus on lower blood pressure and sodium content 
  • Use herbs, spices and other flavoring a to season foods instead of salt based dried seasoning 
  • Fresh herbs, dried herbs, spices, zest and fruit juices can add a lot of flavor to any dish 
  • **sea salt has around the same amount of sodium as table salt
Limit salty condiments like

  • Soy sauce, salad dressing, dips, ketchup, mustard, and relish 
  • Use salt substitutes sparingly.

These tips should help you cut down on your sodium intake. 

That's all today folks,
Peace & Love
Mary

References:
www.mayoclinic.org





You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *