Beet Salad & a Traditional Beet Soup

/
0 Comments
Happy Friday!

I've received an overwhelming response to beet week! Thanks for sending all the love, I had no idea so many people enjoyed beets as much as I do.


2 years ago my boyfriend took on a trip around the world, 6 countries in 3 months. We had a blast, eating, shopping, site seeing, eating, exploring, eating, did I mention eating? I gained 30 pounds on that trip, what did I expect? We ate good every night. I tried to stay on track by eating salads for lunch and that's how I discovered this next concoction.



I was a goat cheese virgin until I visited France, it's been a happy love affair ever since. The cheese pairs perfectly with beets earthy flavor. I usually stay away from frying, but not this time. Sometime you have to break your own rules.

This salad is light, refreshing, and feels like a cheat meal, but it's not. Try to limit yourself to only 2 slices of goat cheese, that will keep the calorie count down.

Fried Goat Cheese 
Beet Salad
found at www.sprinkewithflour.com




2 beets
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp mustard powder
15oz log fresh goat cheese
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tsp Italian blend seasoning
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup all purpose flour
olive oil
8 cups mixed greens 
balsamic vinegar
extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup toasted walnuts


Cut off top of beets, slice into equal pieces
Add to small pot and cover with water
Boil for 30 minutes or until soft

When beets are tender remove from heat run cold water over beets
Once cooled, use hands to rub skin off of beets

Chop beets into bite size pieces or slice thin


In medium sized bowl whisk together apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, olive oil, dry mustard
Add cut beets, toss in mixture and let sit at room temp for at least 30 minutes

Freeze goat cheese for 30 minutes until it's stiff but not frozen

While cheese in in freezer combine panko breadcrumbs, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper
Set mixture aside
Remove cheese from freezer and slice into 1/2 inch rounds using dental floss or a knife





Take goat cheese rounds dip in flour, coat with egg, coat with breadcrumb mixture, lay on cutting board
Coat all slices

If cheese is really soft put it back into the freezer for 5 minutes
Take large high-sided skillet, cover with olive oil, heat skillet over med-high heat 
Once oil is hot fry goat cheese rounds until crispy on both sides

Gently remove fried goat cheese from skillet onto a paper towel lined plate to soak up the excess oil

Serve fried goat cheese warm

Lay out 2 salad bowls or saucers,arrange beets in a circular pattern, top with 1/2 cup mix greens
Drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper
Top each salad with 2-3 goat cheese rounds

Devour


Fall is coming, there is no stopping it, the kids are back in school, and soon we will be wrapped in scarfs, hats and layers of flannel. It's time for heartier recipes, food that warms you from the inside out.

I've had Borscht a few times, the fact that it is a Russian dish appeals to my adventurous nature. The recipe is simple and delectable.



Low Fat Borscht

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped,
2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
1 medium Russel potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1-1/2 cup steamed cubed beets, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 tbsp prepared horseradish
1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley

Heat oil in large sauce pan over med heat

Add onion and cook stirring until they begin to brown, about 4 minutes


Add broth, potatoes, salt, pepper, bring to a boil

Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until potato is very soft 8 minutes



Add beets and vinegar, return to a boil

Cover and continue cooking until broth is deep red and potato is very soft, 2-3 minutes

Combine sour cream and horseradish in small bowl

Serve soup with a dollop of mixture and sprinkle with parsley


That's all today folks
Peace & Love,
Mary




You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *