It's Summer Squash Time

/
0 Comments
Hi Friends!

It's time to get our summer squash recipes on 

This is my first time playing with summer squash. I've made zucchini bread before and it always turns out soft and delicious. 

Let's start out with the facts, I love the facts:


Summer Squash 

  • Is rich in lutein & zeaxanthin good for eye health
  • Is low in carbs, low in calories, cholesterol free, high in vitamin C, Iron, Folate, Beta carotin, lutein, improves your nervous system, and boosts red blood cells

Recipe Time!

Summer Squash & Corn Chowder
adapted from Kathryn Conrad, Cooking Light 

2 slices of vegetable bacon
3/4 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 cups yellow summer squash
2 1/4 cups fresh cashew milk or almond milk
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese




Cook bacon in large Dutch oven on med-high until crispy 
do not burn or scorch

Remove bacon from pan add 1/2 cup onions, celery, and squash to same pan

Saute for 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender


Set 1 cup corn aside, place remaining corn and 1 cup cashew milk in blender

Process until just combined

Add pureed mixture and reserved 1 cup of corn and cheese to 
dutch oven


Reduce heat to medium, cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated stirring constantly 


Stir in salt to taste



Crumble bacon on top of individual servings along with 1 tbsp onion and 1 tbsp bacon


Summer Squash Ribbons with Burglar



3 small zucchinis
2 small yellow squash
1 tbs extra virgin oil oil
1/4 tsp lemon rind optional
1 tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp sea salt 
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1 garlic clove pressed
1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese optional
1/2 cup cooked bulgur - bulgur is a grain made from wheat

Shave squash and zucchini like a ribbon using a vegetable peeler

Cook bulgur according to package direction  I usually replace one cup of water with once cup of vegetable stock for add flavor
Combine oil, rind, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic in small bowl, combine with whisk
Add bulgur & shaved squash, gently toss
Sprinkle with cheese and enjoy



That's all today folks!
Have a great day
Blessing,
Mary






You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *