What is a Serving Size?

/
0 Comments
Hi Friends,

What is 1 serving?


Serving sizes have always stumped me. What does 1 serving size actually looks like. I challenged all of you to add more fruit to your diet this week, hopefully you're striving to reach 5 servings a day. Today it only seems appropriate to educate you, and myself, on what 1 serving of fruit, vegetables, grains, dairy and meat looks like. Is it 50 grapes or 5 grapes, 2 kiwis or 1 kiwi, 1 hamburger or a double cheese burger. Today we are going to get to the bottom of servings sizes, how to measure them, and few more random facts. 


What is a serving?


When I looked it up I was surprised that there wasn't a straight forward answer, pleasantly surprised. I don't do well with general statements, I need detail and that's exactly what this particular definition provided. 


Grains

bread, cereal, rice, pasta *whole grains are best
1 serving size = 1 slice of bread
1 serving size = 1 cup of ready made cereal
1 serving size = 1/2 cup of cooked cereal (oatmeal), rice, pasta
1 serving size = 1/2 cup of couscous 
1 serving size = 1/2 cup of farro
Vegetables

1 serving size = 1 cup raw leafy vegetables
1 serving size = 1/2 cup of vegetables corn, peas, sweet potatoes
1 serving size = 3/4 cups of vegetable juice
1 serving size = 1 small 3oz potato
1 serving size = 1 cup or 4 spears of asparagus
1 serving size = 2 medium carrots
1 serving size = 2 celery stalks
1 serving size = 1/4 of a head of cauliflower 

Fruit

1 serving size = 1 med apple, banana, orange, pear...
1 serving size = 1 cup diced melon
1 serving size = 16 grapes
1 serving size = 6 strawberries or 1 cup strawberries
1 serving size = 1 medium peach 
1 serving size = 1/2 cup chopped, cooked or canned fruit
1 serving size = 3/4 cup fruit juice
1 serving size = 1 cup mixed berries, cherries, chopped cantaloupe

Milk - Yogurt - Cheese 

*low fat or fat free products are best
1 serving size = 1 cup milk or yogurt
1 serving size = 2 oz of natural cheese
1 serving size = 1 slice bread

Meat - Beans

1 serving size = 2-3oz cooked lean meat, poultry, or fish
1 serving size = 1/2 cup cooked beans
1 serving size = 2oz soy burger
1 serving size = 1 egg
1 serving size = 2 tbs peanut butter
1 serving size = 1/3 cup of nuts





I felt like I should include a food pyramid after reading about serving sizes

Now we know what 1 serving size is, in reference to ounces and cups. This is very valuable information, but if you don't carry a food scale or measuring cups around with you may need another way to measure. 

That's where our trusty hands come in.


I love this little poster. I can measures my servings with my hand, very convenient. 

Lastly I want to address food labels. I've had a love hate relationship on reading food labels. I never wanted to be the kind of person that checked labels before I ate, but I've turned into that person. Oh well, I find it interested to see what a serving size is, especially in pre-packaged food. 

I wish I had more junk food in my cabinet, but I don't. 

Skippy Super Chunk Peanut butter
1 serving = 2 tbps

 Brown Rice - Rice Cakes
1 serving = 1 rice cake

Popped, Apple Cinnamon - Rice Cakes
1 serving size = 16 cakes

Top Ramen
1 serving size = 1/2 a package

That's all today folks!
Blessings
Mary

References:












You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *