Happy Hump Day Recipes!

/
0 Comments
 I am on a mission to cook, edit, and consume low calorie recipes at least two to three times a week. It has been cold are rainy lately, and many people are getting sick. I decided to make stews, they were delicious, please enjoy. 

Today I’m featuring 2 Stews:


Irish Lamb Stew




Ingredients

½ cup all-purpose flour
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 pounds boneless lamb stew meat (preferably shoulder), trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch cubes
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
2  ¼ cups water
1 large onion, chopped
¾ teaspoon dried thyme
1 ½ cups (12 ounces) dark beer
1 ½ pounds medium new potatoes, peeled and quartered
1-pound carrots, cut ½ inch thick diagonally
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley

Preparation
 
  1. In large bowl, season flour with salt and pepper
  2. Dredge lamb in flour mixture, shaking off excess
  3. In large Dutch oven or other heavy pot heat oil over medium heat
  4. Working in batchs, brown lamb on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch
  5. Transfer to plate
  6. Pour ¼ cup water into pot and scrape up browned bits from bottom with a wooden spoon
  7. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until water has evaporated and onion is beginning to soften about 5 minutes
  8. Return lamb to pot
  9. Stir in thyme, beer, and 1 ½ cups water
  10. Cover; simmer until lamb is tender, 1 to 1 ½ hours
  11. Add potatoes, carrots, and remaining ½ cup water
  12. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender and stew has thickened, about 20 minutes
  13. Season with salt and pepper
  14. Stir in parsley and serve immediately



I don’t eat meat, but my boyfriend does, so I usually cook a meat and fish dish whenever I cook. My lamb stew got rave reviews, it smelt great, and temped me to try just a little piece of lamb. I was strong but I was tempted. The stew is great for a cold stormy night, or if a loved one is sick. I stepped out of my comfort zone and cooked with beer, which I have never done before, and it wasn’t even hard. This stew is super easy and straightforward. I hope you enjoy it.


Try it out and let me know what you think! 


Original recipe by: Cooking Light

Adjusted with Love by: Me!
Nutrition Facts
Serving Per Recipe: 4-5
Amount Per Serving
415             Calories
16.9g             Fat
36.6g            Protein
28g            Carbohydrates
3.6g            fiber

 

Seafood Stew

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for serving (optional)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 fennel bulb, trimmed, halved, and thinly sliced, fronds reserved for garnish
1 large tomato, cut into large dice
Coarse salt and ground pepper
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
½ pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ pound sea scallops, large muscle removed
12 ounces skinless striped bass or red snapper fillets, cut into 10inch pieces
I left out scallops and fish and added 1 cleaned, and cracked Dungeness crab. The crab was only 10 bucks and it was a wonderful addition to the stew

Preparation
  1. In a medium heavy pot, combine oil and garlic
  2. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute
  3. Add fennel and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes
  4. Add tomato, season with salt and pepper and cook stirring frequently, until tomato begins to break down, about 3 minutes
  5. Stir in broth and bring stew to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer.
  6. Let stew simmer for 20-30 minutes
  7. Gently fold in all seafood,
  8. Return to a bare simmer and cook until seafood is opaque throughout, 3-5 minutes
  9. To serve, divide stew among bowls and drizzle each with additional oil; garnish with fennel fronds

I love, love, love, seafood. I freakin I love it!!! Since I prepared lamb stew for my boyfriend, I wanted to make a seafood stew for myself. I didn’t want use fish and scallops for fear of over cooking them. Its crab season and I decided to replace the more delicate seafood, with fresh crab. It was a great idea. This seafood stew was amazing and super low calories! Plus the stew was only 20 bucks to make. You can't beat that.


Try it out and let me know what you think! 


Original recipe by: Cooking Light

Adjusted with Love by: Me!
Nutrition Facts
Serving Per Recipe: 4-5
Amount Per Serving
272            Calories
7.6g             Fat
1.5g             Saturated Fat
40.4g            Protein
9.7g            Carbohydrates
2.3g            fiber







You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *