Calorie Counting Thursdays!!!!

/
0 Comments

Hello All!

I’m in a great mood today. Most of you know I took a week off of working out, well it re-kindled my love of exercising, and my body is very happy I’m getting back to it. I know it's Calorie Tip day but I wanted to share that great bit of news with you all. I can’t wait for Monday’s photos, it finally looks like I’m going in the right direction.



I read a lot of medical journals, nutritional books, and articles every week, while reading I ran across this article online and found it so interesting I felt like I should share it with you.



7 Nutrients That Help Increase Muscle Tone




Every time you lift weights, or complete weight bearing exercises you are breaking down your muscles and creating micro-tears in the fibers. When you rest your body rebuilds and strengthens your muscles, but to do that properly your body needs the proper fuel. That’s where they came up with this list, the seven vitamins and minerals, found by experts that will help feed your muscle tone.



  1. Vitamin C

Vitamin C is found in all fruits and vegetables. “It is responsible for the health of blood vessels, which support the muscles needs for oxygen and nutrients.” Says John Cuomo, PhD of USANA Health Sciences.



The National Institutes of Health recommends 75 mg daily, that equates to a medium orange, half a red bell pepper, or 1 cup of strawberries



  1. Fish Oil

Omega-3 fatty acids, found in fish oils, improves insulin sensitivity, which helps prevent diabetes. It has the ability to enhance effects of weight training by increasing blood flow to the muscles, reducing muscle protein breakdown, and decreasing inflammation for faster recovery, says John Cuomo, PhD of USANA



The American Heart Association recommends eating two 3.5 oz servings of fatty fish i.e. salmon, mackerel, herring, lake trout, sardines, or albacore tuna every week. If you are not a fan of fish, you can take 1,000 to 3,000 milligram (mg) supplement of DHA and EPA daily.  You can also find omega 3’s in flax seed, chia seeds, hemps seeds, walnuts, and algae-based supplement



  1. Calcium

Every time your muscle contracts Calcium provides the mineral that cue’s the contractions. “Calcium is one of the two most important nutrients our body needs for strong, healthy bones, and muscles,” Dr. Popovitz says.



Dr. Popovitz recommends at least 1200 mg a day. You can eat your daily dose by consuming dairy products, green veggies, fortified dairy-free milk, or a supplement. If you prefer a pill find supplements with 500 to 600 mg of calcium and take them hours apart, your body can only absorb that much at a time.



  1. Magnesium

Most women don’t get enough of this mineral.  Magnesium keeps things going when it comes to your muscles, ensuring your heart is pumping to a steady beat, and it helps with muscle cramps and soreness.



The National Institutes of Health recommends 310 to 320mg a day, Dr. Poppvitzs says there’s no harm increasing your intake to 400mg if you lift weights more then 3 days a week, like me. You can also find magnesium in spinach, nuts, legumes, whole grains, and a relaxing Epsom salt bath




  1. Vitamin B

You need B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B6 (pyridoxine), B7 (biotin), and B12 (cobalamin), “each is needed for your overall health, but they are even more important when you’re actively trying to grow muscle and get stronger.” Dr Cuomo Says. B’s help protein metabolisms and energy productions to maintain healthy nerves and break down fats and carbs.



B’s are found in whole grains, eggs, lean meats, legumes, nuts, leafy greens, and fortified cereals. B12 is only found in animal sources, if you don’t eat meat you might need to take a supplement or use fortified foods, and drinks to obtain 2.4 micrograms (mcg) daily.



  1. Vitamin D

Vitamin D is the Sunshine vitamin. It boosts moods, immunity and muscle. “Vitamin D is required for muscular contraction, function, and growth,” Dr Cuomo says. It is also essential for bone growth and strength.



You usually get enough D through sun exposure. If you don’t get to see the sun as much as you need to, you can take a supplement of 4,000 to 6000 international units (IU) of D3 everyday.



  1. Vitamin E

“A handful of almonds after a workout to provides protein, healthy fats, and fiber, and is a good source of vitamin E. The antioxidants helps cell membrane recover from oxidative stress, such as exercise,” Cuomo says. The faster your muscles recover the faster they will grow.



With Vitamin E, more is not better. 15mg is recommended, or you can just eat nuts and seeds everyday.


I am off to the book store today, I need a good book about recommend supplements, and vitamins. This posting truly sparked my interest and educated me on what my body truly needs. I hope you also enjoy it.


References 






You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *