Watermelon Granita

/
0 Comments

It's summer time, I like sweet stuff, lets make some kinda of frozen treat. 

I know all the old tricks:
  • Place a Popsicle stick in a single size serving of yogurt, freeze 
  • Make a smoothie and freeze in a Popsicle shaped trays
  • Mix fresh fruit with yogurt, freeze for 20 minutes and enjoy

There are more, but why go on and on and on. Today we are trying something new. Something I've never tried before. I'm still on my vegan, raw, trip, after yesterdays scrumptious peanut butter cups. Today we are making Watermelon Granita, it only requires 3 ingredients and it's a great substitute for high calorie, high fat ice cream. 

Before I can dive into this recipe lets figure out what Granita actually is, unless you already know, because I did not. 

Grainta is a course Italian style flavored ice, or drink made with crush ice

This makes sense, no adding dairy or needs of ice cream machines, we are basically making fruit sweetened frozen ice


Watermelon Grainta
recipe adapted from www.epicurious.com
Makes 6 servings - 40 cals per serving - 1g fat



4 cups (1-3/4 pounds) cubed watermelon
1 tbs maple syrup
1 tbs fresh lime juice
Small wedge of watermelon for garnish



Puree all ingredients in blender until smooth

    Puree all ingredients in blender until smooth

    Pour into metal baking pan

    Freeze for 1 hour

    Take out of freezer after one hour, and mash any frozen juice with back of fork, making grainta a slushy consistency

      Cover and refreeze juice until firm - about 2 hours

      Using a fork, scrap granita vigorously to form icy flakes
        Can be made up to 3 days ahead
        Cover tightly with foil 
        keep frozen scrape before serving

        That's all today folks!
        Blessings, 
        Mary 




        You may also like

        No comments:

        About

        My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

        Contact Form

        Name

        Email *

        Message *