Moroccan Chicken

/
0 Comments
Since we are trying to change up your chicken recipes this week, let's introduce some new spices and flavors to your kitchen. I've never been to Morocco and I haven't eaten much Moroccan food. I've had couscous and that's about it. I've always wanted to go to one of those Moroccan restaurants where belly dancers entertain you while your eating, but I haven't been so lucky. 

I ran across this recipe for Moroccan Chicken a few months ago. It looked easy enough and the eggplant really intrigued me. I figured, what the hell, I'll try something new tonight.

It was so good I had a hard time not trying the chicken. I devoured all the eggplant before my boyfriend could even taste it. 

This recipe calls for blanched almonds. I usually don't like nuts in my food, but the almonds gave the entire dish some much needed texture. 

Your family, friends, and love ones will love this recipe. 

Enjoy!

How to blanch almonds

Instead of buying expensive blanched, skinned almonds, you can do it yourself. It only takes a few minutes. It was so easy my boyfriend did it! 

Bring small pot of water to a boil

Add almonds and only allow to boil for 60 seconds. 
*if they boil any longer the almonds will soften and over cook

Drain almonds immediately and rinse with cold water

Pat dry with paper towel, skin will look slightly shriveled 

Carefully and gently squeeze one end of almond until almond come complete out of skin

Once skin is removed pat almonds with paper towel to dry completely 

DONE!

Moroccan Chicken

3 tbs olive oil divided
2 large onions sliced
6 large garlic cloves
2 tbs Hungarian sweet paprika *I used regular paprika 
1-1/2 tsp Celtic salt *sold at whole foods and Safeway 
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground fennel seeds
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tomatoes chopped
2 cups water
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
6 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
1 large eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tbs marjoram
1/2 cup whole blanched almonds slivered 
Chopped fresh cilantro


Heat 1 tbs olive oil in heavy large pant over med-heat
Add onions, garlic, cook until soft about 5 minutes

Add paprika, salt, turmeric, coriander, fennel, pepper, cumin, ginger, stir for 1 minute 

Add tomatoes, water, and lemon juice
Bring to a boil

Arrange all chicken in a single layer in the pot
Spoon some sauce over it
Bring to boil and reduce heat to med-low 
Cover and simmer for 20 more minutes

After 20 minutes turn chicken once, cover and simmer for 5 more minutes

Stir in eggplant and marjoram
Cook uncovered for 10 more minutes over medium to medium-high heat until chicken is tender and fully cooked

Season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste
Transfer chicken to large shallow bowl or serve in pot
Sprinkle with almonds and cilantro

Serve with Couscous

This chicken is finger and pot licking good!

That's all today folks
Blessings
Mary 

References:
www.eatgoodforlife.com



You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *