Healthy Late Night Snack

/
0 Comments
Hello Friends

We are that much closer to the 3 day weekend. 



I plan on attending the Sausalito Art Festival. An annual outdoor art event held Labor Day weekend, August 31st to September 2nd, brining artists and community together in Sausalito, featuring exciting artist, gourmet food, fine wines, and a great music line up. 

The festival never dissapoints. I always find fun and creative art to line my walls with. 



Today we are going to talk about Healthy Late Night Snacking

I've been late night snacking since I was old enough to reach the 2nd shelf in the refrigerator.  Over the last 5 years I've gotten my snacking under control... sometimes. Some nights I'm a lot stronger then others. I usually crave peanut butter, anything salty or savory, and chocolate. I love chocolate at night. Discipline is my friend, but sometimes we are on the outs. Always on the look out for the healthier side of life, I ran across this article in Pop Sugar and just had to share it with all of you. 

Low Calorie Late Night Snacks
by Leta Shy - 7/7/13

The myth that late-night eating is bad for your diet has been disproved but that doesn't mean you can put just anything into your body and maintain your desired physic. 

The best late-night snacks are easy to digest. Carbs are good. Avoid excessive fiber, protein, and fat, so you don't get that "overly full" feeling. 

Avoid: Peanut Butter

Many nights you will find me in my kitchen, half naked, slowly devouring a spoonful of peanut butter. I find that it keeps me full, and its oh so satisfying. While I crave peanut butter my thighs are craving something else. Instead of battling those calories during your next work out session replace it with a batch of low-calorie rasin peanut-butter, and top with slices of banana for a filling snack . 

Low Calorie Raisin Peanut Butter 

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup raisins
1 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup natural creamy peanut butter

DIRECTIONS

Put the raisins, applesauce, and cinnamon in a small saucepan and bring to boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer for eight to 10 minutes or until raisins have plumped up.
Place mixture in a food processor. Add the peanut butter and pulse until smooth.
Spread onto whole wheat crackers, bread, fruit slices, or celery sticks.
Makes 1 3/4 cups of spread.

Avoid: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Grilled cheese is the ultimate comfort food, but the fat count can get excessive. I have not problem avoiding melted cheese late night, but I know other people that aren't so lucky. 

Instead of the Ultimate Comfort Sandwich, try eating lean protein like turkey, adding leafy greens and one slice of cheese. If you make it Panini style you can still enjoy the best part of a grilled cheese sandwich. 

Avoid: Chips

Craving salty and savory snacks before bed time? 



Instead of devouring a bag of chips make some stove-top popcorn. It only takes a few minutes and its much better for you than store-brought bags. 
*Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top to help satisfy those butter cravings.  

Avoid: Candy

I've never been a candy person, but I do enjoy sweets at night. I feel like dinner isn't over until I have some kind of desert. Instead of eatting your favoirte candy try these Strawberry Banana Yogurt Creams. They are sweet just like candy, with only 1/4th of the calories. 



8 Strawberries
2oz vanilla Greek yogurt
1/2 small banana
1 teaspoon sliced almonds

-Mash Bananas in small bowl with fork and mix in yogurt
-Use knife and carve out the middle of each strawberry
-Fill center of each strawberry with banana yogurt mixture
-Top with sliced Almonds 

Makes 1 serving

I will be trying these bad boys tonight!

Avoid: Nut Butter Overdose

Nut butters are good for you, but they also contain a high amount of healthy fats which you do not need to consume at night. Not only can it effect your sleep it can also expand your waist line. 
*Portion control is the key

Medjool Almond Butter halves
1 large Medjool date filled with almond butter and granola should satisfy your nut butter cravings. 

Avoid: Cookies!

Need something sweet? I know I do, especially at night. These dark chocolate and coconut almond treats. Make them while making dinner, refrigerate for at least 10 minutes to let them set. At only 41 calories per snack they will not undo your healthy day. 



I am making these treats tonight! I'll let you know how they turned out. 

Avoid: Ice Cream

I have a love hate relationship with Ice Cream. I never had any problems with it, until I started gaining weight from my late night trips to the freezer. I threw out all the ice cream in my house, and I refuse to purchase any more. When I really need some ice cream I turn to a trick my mother taught me. Purchase your favorite yogurt, purchase popsicle sticks and make your own yogurt pops. They are satisfying, and you don't realize its not ice cream until your almost done with your pop. Thanks Mom!




I hope some of these snacks sound good to all of you. In a perfect world late night snacking would be no problem, but in my world its a everyday battle. At least, now I have some healthy snacks to turn. 

Have a wonderful Thursday. 

Blessings my Friends
Mary 

References: 
http://www.fitsugar.com/Healthy-Late-Night-Snacks-Low-Calories


You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *