Kale Chips & Kale Powder... say what???

/
0 Comments
I'm riding this Kale train all the way to Sunday. Last nights dinner was excellent, I had a kale based Buddha bowl with a beautifully cooked piece of Seabass. I've perfected my fish cooking skills, I hope to share all that I've learned soon. So back to the kale...Today I created a Kale and Bean soup. When I say I 'created' I mean I actually wrote my very first recipe and it was delicious. I've followed enough recipes to know the basics, I've just been nervous to experiment with writing my own. Usually I get a recipe and change a few steps, omit or add an ingredients or change the cooking technique all together creating a mash-up of a base recipe and my very own creation. Tonight was all me and I'm pretty thrilled about it. The boyfriend said the house smelled of garlic n' greens, I've never heard that one before so I'm taking it as a compliment. I have to put together the calorie count but I think I knocked it out of the park and I'm pretty freaking proud of myself. Stay tuned I'm posting that recipe tomorrow. 

This afternoon I made Kale chips and kale powder. I've never consumed a kale chip. Never ever ever! I'm not entirely sure why, they are all over the health food stores, but for some reason they just never appeal to me. Maybe they are too healthy looking, maybe I don't like to try new things or maybe I always wanted to make them myself before I indulged. Well today was that day. I made my very own kale chips and now, of course, I'm hooked. What's not to love? The ridiculous health benefits, the crunchy flavorful taste or the sexy dark green hue? I'm down for all of it. I am no longer a kale chip virgin, I have a feeling I'll be making these chips on the regular from now on. They are the perfect no guilt late night snack.

Lets get to it 


recipe found at theroastedroot.net
1 large head green kale
1 tbsp olive oil
Coarse sea salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees and lightly oil a baking sheet
Wash kale and pat dry

Tear leaves off stems into bite sized pieces
Place leaves on cookie sheet (make sure not to over crowd)

Use hands to toss with olive oil, and coat well  
Spread leaves over baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until crispy as you can tell my first batch came out a little dark, the second bath was perfect - make sure not to overcook they do not taste good burnt 

Remove chips from oven and let cool for 5 minutes 
Removing chips before cooling can damage chips but that doesn't matter since they are all going into your mouth anyways 






After the chips were done I dropped a few on the ground, by accident of course. Had to talk myself out of implementing the 5 second rule and forgot I had blessed the floor with some Kale goodness. 20 minutes later I noticed a coarse green powder at the scene of the crime. I grabbed the broom and dust pan, then it hit me... Kale powder. What would happen if I grinned up Kale super duper fine and used it as a seasoning adding some serious vitamins, minerals and all that other good stuff to whatever it is I'm preparing. 

I did a little research and found I'm not the only one that has had this life altering idea. I found a recipe that calls for dehydrated Kale but who has time for that? I had some extra Kale chips threw them in my high powered blender and blended for 10 minutes. Checking the powder every 2-3 minutes and using a spatula to scraped the sides of the blender. I learned two things from my experiment: 
1. Kale powder if freaking delicious!!!!! 
2. My blender is a keeper

I included my Kale powder recipe at the end of this post. It super simple and freaking delicious. I purchased a empty herb shaker at Whole Foods for $1.99 and the rest is history.



What you need:
Kale chips
High powdered blender

Make sure to remove all large stems from Kale chips
My chips already had some sea salt on them which was perfect 
Place Kale in blender and blend blend blend
It took me about 10 minutes to get the Kale as fine as I wanted it
Make sure to check Kale every 2-3 minutes using a spatula to scrap down the sides of blender

Once you are happy with the texture place in shaker and put it on anything and everything






I put some on a baked potato and it was divine. 

Peace & Love, 
Mary 


You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *