Kale & Roasted Chick Salad + Bean & Kale Soup

/
0 Comments
Hi friends!

I couldn't fall asleep last night, then I started stressing about getting up late and how oversleeping would ruin my entire day. I finally settled myself down around 2am, at least I think it was 2am, and promptly woke up on time bright eyed and bushy tailed. 

I’ve been a long time fan of oatmeal for breakfast but lately I've been skipping it. There is his new exercise trend called starving cardio where you workout first thing in the morning without eating. I know that sounds straight up dangerous but I thought it was genus when I first heard of it. Plus I had just started attending a 9am Bikram yoga class and they recommend not eating before class. I know all this sounds like one of those fads that I warn all of you to stay away from, but at the time it made sense to me. Since I’m starting to train for the Tough Mudder i've been eating my normal breakfast of fruit and oatmeal, I feel like a stud. I have a lot more energy then i used too and my body feels ready to take on a new day with new challenges. There will be no more starving cardio for me. No sirree, I learned my lesson.

I came home after my sweat feast and made an awesome kale salad. I feel like a rabbit eating all this kale, but I think rabbits are cute so that's ok.

Kale & Roasted Chicks 
Salad


2 cups Kale clean, dried, and chopped 
1 can chickpeas, aka garbanzo beans
1+1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Juice from 1 lemon 
1+1 tsp garlic powder
1+1  tsp Kale powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
1 tbsp dried cranberries
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp toasted pumpkin seeds

Roast chickpeas: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees 
Remove chickpeas from can, drain, rinse and pat dry
Add 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp kale powder, pinch of salt and pepper to chickpeas, Drizzle 1 tbsp olive 
Place in oven for 20 minutes

Lemon Vinaigrette dressing
In small bowl whisk lemon juice, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp kale powder, pinch salt and pepper, red wine vinegar and olive oil
Combine with whisk
Set aside 

Once chickpeas and lemon vinaigrette salad dressing are prepared 

Start with by placing kale in a large salad bowl, add chickpeas, feta cheese, pumpkin seeds, cranberries and dressing
Toss well
Enjoy immediately   




   


 

I ranted and raved about my bean and kale soup its finally time to share it with all of you. 
This is a real Evolve with Mary original recipe! 





3 cups vegetable broth
1-1/2 cups water
1-15oz can Cannelloni Beans aka white kidney bean
2 carrots Julienned (cut into thin strips)
2 stalks celery - roughly chopped 
1 large brown onion - roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves - roughly chopped
2 cups kale - washed, dried and tore into bite sized pieces
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 bay leaf
1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
1-1/2 tsp onion powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
 
Heat medium sized dutch oven on medium-low heat 

Add olive oil and onions

Sauté onions for 5-8 minutes until soft

Add garlic, celery and carrots 

Cook for 5-7 minutes 

Add vegetable broth, water, bay leaves, garlic powder, onion powder, 
salt and pepper 

Bring mixture to a boil

Add kale and beans

Lower heat to low and allow soup to simmer for 25-30 minutes or until Kale is tender 










Enjoy your day!
Peace & Love, 
Mary 

 




You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *