Seasonal Vegetable Recipes & Reving Up My Workout Routine

/
0 Comments


Hi Friends

Since I challenged all of you to eat seasonably this week, I figured I should share some of my favorite seasonal vegetable recipes.  


Parmesan Spinach Cakes

Spinach is in season, great excuse to try this new 
healthy, delectable, delicate, recipe







12oz fresh spinach
1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese or low fat cottage cheese
1/4 cup low fat parmesan cheese (more for garnish)
1/4 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
2 large eggs
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 
Pinch of red pepper flakes if desired

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

Pulse spinach until finely chopped and almost liquid

Transfer to medium bowl and add ricotta, parmesan, eggs, garlic, salt, pepper and stir to combine

Coat a 8 cup muffin pan with cooking spray

Divide mixture among 8 cups 

Bake spinach cakes until set, about 20 minutes

Let stand in pan for 5 minutes

Lossen the edges with a knife and turn out onto a clean cutting board or large plate

Serve warm, sprinkled with more parmesan if desired

2 cakes per serving!!
141 cals 
8g fat 
2g fiber
6g carbs
4g sat fat 
123mg chol 
13g protein  
456mg sodium 
560mg potassium
** Nutrition Bonus!  
Vitamin A - 170% daily value
Vitamin C - 40% daily value
Folate - 46% daily value 
Calcium - 30% daily value 
Potassium - 16% daily value 




Chile Garlic Cabbage

Cabbage is in season, this recipe only has a few ingredients, it's quick and easy to make, and it reminded me of sauerkraut, which I love.






4 tbsp fresh lime juice
4 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp fish sauce
1 tbs sesame seed oil
8 cups sliced cabbage
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)

Combine lime juice, brown sugar, fish sauce, in small bowl
 
Heat sesame seed oil in large skill over medium-high heat; swirl to coat skillet

Add cabbage to pan; cook for 7 minutes, or until lightly browned

Stir in brown sugar mixture; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally

Stir in 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves 

Serves 4 (serving size 2/3 cup)
Calories 57 
Fat 2.4 
Sat fat 0.4g 
Sodium 193mg


Reving up my Exercise Routine



I'm going to Miami in a few weeks and I've reved up my workout to make sure I'm ready for the beach. I'm never really intimidated by my bikini, but I do want to be tighter then I am right now. 


I could pout and wish I was someone other then myself, maybe a woman with perfect breasts, a naturally flat toned stomach, and manageable thighs. Nope that's not me, I'm all about self love. I love my little body, my big booty, small waist, my voluptuous figure. That doesn't mean I have to give up there. I will do whatever I can to do get where I want to go. 

All that said, I've reved up my workout routine and I wanted to share it with all of you. 

Yesterday I did an interval cardio routine and my beach body workout. The workout targets arms, abdominals, legs, butt, cardio endurance all of the above. Its annoying, hard, and effective. I adapted this workout from other workout routines I love to hate. 

Cardio Interval 
Warm-up
Jumping Jacks
Jump Squats
Mountain Climbers
Butt Kicks
complete each exercise for 30 seconds, go directly into next exercise, rest for 30 seconds after the 4th exercise. Complete x3


High Knees
Plank Jacks
Speed Skaters
Push Ups
complete each exercise for 30 seconds, go directly into next exercise, rest for 30 seconds after the 4th exercise. Complete x3

Burpees
Mountain Climbers
Up down hops
Cris Cross hops
Wall Sits
complete each exercise for 30 seconds, go directly into next exercise, rest for 30 seconds after the 5th exercise. Complete x3

Beach Body Workout
20 Deep Squats (legs, cardio)
20 Kick Back crunches (core)
20 Deep Squats with 2 second hold at bottom (legs, cardio)
20 Rotating planks (full body)
20 Side Step lunges (legs)
20 Bridges (lower body and core)
20 Up-Downs with Plank Rotation** (full body killer!)
20 Curtsy Lunges (core)
20 Reverse Crunches (core)
20 Speed Skaters (cardio, core, legs, arms)
20 Side Plank hip raises LT (core, arms, chest) 
20 Side Plank hip raises RT (core, arms, chest)
20 Scissors (core) 
2 minute water break
20 Step back lunges (legs)
20 Rotating Plank kick backs (full body)
20 Deep Squats (legs, cardio) 
20 Up-Downs with Plank Rotation** (full body killer!!)
20 Leg Raises (core)
20 1 Legged Speed Skaters (full body, cardio)
20 Criss Cross Legs (core) 
20 Side Crunches (core) 
20 Curtsy Lunges (legs)
20 Toe Touch Crunches (core) 
20 Bicycles (core) 
20 Feet on Ground Crunches (core)
20 Up-Downs with Plank Rotation*** (full body killer!!) 
2 minute water break

Ab Challenge
25 In-outs
25 Bicycles
25 Rev Bicycles
25 Crunchy Frog
25 Wide Leg Sit-ups
25 Scissors
25 Hip Butt Ups
25 Heels to Heaven
25 Roll Up Vs
25 Leg Climbers
25 Kayakers

Foam Roll + Stretch
DONE!!!!

That was my workout yesterday! It took me about 2-1/2 hours to complete. It was hard, just like I like it. 




I'm also adding some kettle bells into the mix to make sure I have muscle tone throughout. I enjoy kettle bells, they just got too expensive to keep up with. I was moving up in weight every 3 weeks, the next kettle bell I need costs $75 and I just can't bring myself to purchase it. They have kettle bells at my gym, but I don't like working out in front of people. Too many eyes on me. It makes me nervous which takes the concentration away from my workout. 

I'll share my Kettle Bell workout with you tomorrow, its killer!

To top it all off I'll be working in some Bikram Yoga Classes this week and next week. Bikram always keeps my skin tight and taunt, while raising my heart beat and sweating like a pig. 

After all of these sweat jerking routines, I'm also eating clean. My lunches look like this right now:




a big salad, no salad dressings, olive oil and salt & pepper, with a few eggs, peppers, toasted almonds and a sweet potato. 
**this salad is on a bed of Arugula. Arugula is in season!

Whenever I want to lose a few extra pounds, I revert back to salads. As much as I would rather be eating potatoes day and night, I enjoy having control over my diet. Controlling my diet controls my weight.   

All of you are on this crazy journey with me. I hope to post a few pictures of me in my bikinis during this vacation, pictures that I'm actually proud of. Cross your fingers and wish me luck. It's going to be a long, sweaty, ride. 

You know I'll keep you posted
Blessings Friends
Mary 

References:
Cooking Light Magazine
www.eatingwell.com


You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *