Fiberlicious

/
0 Comments
Hi Friends!

Today was a great day. I didn't make it to any yoga classes last week and my body wasn't happy with me. This morning I woke up on a mission to get some serious stretching in. I knew it was going to be a great day when I realized my favorite teacher was teaching. I meditated a few minutes before class commanding my mind, body and soul to connect and quiet down, which is always hard for me to do. I had a fabulous class, the teacher even gave me a few tricks to improve my triangle pose. I left feeling energized and ready to take on the day. 

After yoga I sat in my car for over an hour sending emails, texts, making calls and creating my to-do list for the day. Today was the day to start tackling my Mason Jar gifts. I am putting together over 300 jars which would be overwhelming to most, but as long as I keep it organized and set a goal date I should have everything done by early next week.... Hopefully!!!

I found a sale on the jars that I want to use for my sugar scrubs, 50% off at Cost Plus. Of course the sale ends today, so I cleaned out Cost Plus and they are calling around searching for more jars just for me. 

I got all of my herbs and spices for my New Years Detox Tea and all of the ingredients for my Hot Chocolate mix. I have 3 different people coming to my house tomorrow, the water company is coming to check for any leaks, my security system has been on the fritz so they are coming over and someone is coming to check out my car. My day will be full of talking to service reps as they funnel through my house. I think it will be the perfect time to knock out my detox tea. I love this stuff! I make a simple assembly line, turn on some music and get in the zone. 

I also purchased a 25 pound kettle bell today. I've been eyeing it for a year, but could not bring myself to spend 60 bucks on weights, but today was the day. I put my cheapness aside and purchased my extra heavy kettle bell. I can't wait to workout with it tomorrow. 


Tonight I'm trying out some fiber-rich recipes that might get featured on the blog this week. I love cooking, creating, adding and editing healthy recipes, I can't wait to fill the house with decadent flavors and scents.

This week's challenge is to add more fiber to your diet. Since I'm not well-versed in fiber I found some fiber facts that I wanted to share with all of you. 



  • The average person gets only 15 grams a day
  • Women should eat at least 21-25 games of fiber a day
  • Men should eat at least 35-40 grams of fiber a day
  • Fiber, and lots of water, helps achieve and maintain a healthy digestive tract
  • A high fiber diet can help reduce risk of obesity, heart disease and diabetes
  • Fiber can lower blood sugar, cut cholesterol, and even prevent colon cancer
  • There are two types of fiber insoluble and soluble fiber
      • Insolube fiber does not dissolve in water, helps prevent constipation, found in whole grains, wheat cereals, carrots, celery, and tomatoes
      • Solube fiber attracts water, which slows digestion, found in boat bran, barley, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, peas, and some fruits and vegetables
  • Benefits of eating and maintaining a high fiber diet
    • Helps maintain bowel health
    • Can lower cholesterol levels
    • Helps control blood sugar levels
    • Can normalize bowel movements
    • Maintaining a high-fiber diet lowers the risk of heart disease by 40%
    • For every 7 grams or more of fiber you consume daily decreased the risk of stroke by 7%
    • Can improve acne and skin issues


Foods High in Fiber 
  • Corn 
  • Legumes
  • White beans
  • Black beans
  • Kidney beans
  • Garbanzo beans
  • Avocado
  • Whole Wheat pasta
  • Brown rice
  • Edamame
  • Quiona
  • Whole Wheat bread
  • Lentils
  • Pear
  • Artichoke
  • Oatmeal
  • Whole Wheat
  • Raspberries
  • Peas
  • Broccoli
  • Apples
  • Almonds
  • Barley
  • Lima Beans
  • Blackberries
  • Bran Flakes
  • Pearled barley

Add more fiber to any meal
  • Adding flaxseed meal to oats, smoothies, yogurt, and baked goods - 2 tbsp contains 3.8 grams of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids
  • Chia seeds have 5.5 grams of fiber per tbsp - when mixed with water they form a sticky goopy gel that s great of thickening smoothies, creating healthy puddings and egg replaces in baked goods
  • Puree cooked fiber rich vegetables and add them to sauces and stews 
Fiber Cheat Sheet


Raspberries - 1 cup - 8 grams
Pear, with skin - 1 medium - 5.5 grams
Apple, with skin - 1 medium - 4.4 grams
Banana - 1 medium - 3.1 grams
Orange - 1 medium - 3.1 grams
Strawberries - 1 cup - 3 grams
Figs, dried - 2 medium - 1.6 grams
Raisins - 1oz (60 raisins) - 1 grams

Spaghetti, whole-wheat, cooked - 1 cup - 6.3 grams
Barley, pearled, cooked - 1 cup - 6 grams
Bran flakes - 3.4 cup - 5.3 grams
Oat bran muffin - 1 medium - 5.2 grams
Oatmeal - 1 cup - 4 grams
Popcorn - 3 cups - 3.5 grams
Bread - 1 slice - 1.9 grams

Spilt peas, cooked - 1 cup - 16.3 grams
Lentils, cooked - 1 cup - 15.6 grams
Black beans, cooked - 1 cup - 15 grams
Lima beans, cooked - 1 cup - 13.2 grams
Baked beans - 1 cup - 10.4 grams
Sunflower seeds - 1/4 cup - 3.9 grams
Almonds - 1 oz, 23 nuts - 3.5 grams
Pistachio nuts - 1 oz, 49 nuts - 2.9 grams
Pecans - 1oz, 19 nuts - 2.7 grams

Artichoke - 1 medium - 10.3 grams
Green peas - 1 cup - 8.8 grams
Broccoli - 1 cup - 5.1 grams
Turnips greens - 1 cup - 5 grams
Brussels sprouts - 1 cup - 4 grams
Sweet corn - 1 cup - 4.1 grams
Potato - 1 small - 3 grams
Tomato paste - 1/4 cup - 2.7 grams
Carrot - 1 medium - 1.7 grams

That's all I have for you today!
Peace & Love, 
Mary 

References:




You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *