Challenge Monday

/
0 Comments
It's Challenge Monday! 
Lets get to it

Fitness Challenge
Squat Holds 

Challenge Synopsis
I challenge you to complete 4 sets, 12 reps of Squat Holds

Why Why Why
  • Squat holds are an isometric exercise, similar to planks
  • Staying still, holding a position is just as challenging as completing multiple squats
  • Squat holds simultaneously challenge flexibility, strength, mobility and balance
  • This exercise builds tendon and ligament strength without weights
  • Adding non-movement exercises into your workout routine keeps your muscles guessing    
Materials
Just yourself

Directions

Squat Holds
Hold Squat holds for 10 seconds 
(that's one rep)
Complete 4 reps, 4 sets 



Start with feet slightly wider than hip width apart
Keeping chest high, eyes straight forward 
Move  hips back and down
Squat down until hips and knees make a 90 degree angle 
If you feel any pain in your knees soften your stance
Extend arms straight out in-front of body
Hold squat position while keeping your weight in heels, not toes
Hold for 10 seconds
That's one rep
*holding squat above a 90 degree angle will make this exercise easier
**if this exercise is too advanced for you start with wall sits 


My Take
I have a big butt, my Mother has a big butt, my Aunts, Grandmother, and cousins all have big butts. Big butts run in my family, it is what it is. Big butts were not always in style but now they are the epitome of a desired physic. But having a big butt is just half the battle. Since I have more cushion for the pushing I have to keep it firm, high, and tight, which is getting harder and harder with each passing year. This exercise firms, tightens, shapes and tones my big ole butt. You might hate me this week, but your booty will love me.  


Nutrition Challenge 

Challenge Synopsis
Eat more fiber in your diet

Why Why Why
  • The average American consumes less than 15 grams of fiber a day
  • Women should consume at least 25 grams of fiber a day
  • Men should consume at least 40 grams of fiber a day
  • What is fiber?
    • There are two types of fiber insoluble and soluble fiber
      • Insolube fiber does not dissolve in water, helps prevent constipation, found in whole grains, wheat cereals, carrots, celery, and tomatoes
      • Solube fiber attracts water, which slows digestion, found in boat bran, barley, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, peas, and some fruits and vegetables
  • Benefits of eating and maintaining a high fiber diet
    • Helps maintain bowel health
    • Can lower cholesterol levels
    • Helps control blood sugar levels
    • Can normalize bowel movements
    • Maintaining a high-fiber diet lowers the risk of heart disease by 40%
    • For every 7 grams or more of fiber you consume daily decreased the risk of stroke by 7%
    • Can improve acne and skin issues
Materials
High fiber foods:
Corn, White beans, Black beans, Kidney beans, Garbanzo beans, Avocado, Whole-wheat pasta, Brown rice, Edamame, whole-wheat bread, Lentils, Pear, Artichoke, Oatmeal, Raspberries, Peas, Broccoli, Apples, Almonds, Barley, Lima Beans, Blackberries, Bran Flakes, Pearled barley

Directions
  • Increase the amount of fiber in your diet everyday this week
  • I will be featuring fiber-rich recipes this week

My Take
I've never paid attention to my fiber intake so this is the perfect Challenge for all of us. 

Self-Improvement Challenge

Challenge Synopsis
I challenge you to give at least 8 hugs a day everyday this week

Why Why Why

  • When you give someone a hug for at least 20 seconds a hormone named oxytocin is released into your blood stream
  • This hormone can lower blood pressure, improve memory, reduce stress and anxiety
  • Research proves hugging is effective in healing sickness, disease, depression, and stress
  • Holding a hug for an extended period of time can raise the serotonin levels, elevating mood and creating happiness

Materials
Yourself and a few close friends and family members

Directions
Make sure to give at least 8 hugs a day

My Take 
I'm a hugger. I usually bypass hand shakes and go in for a strong long hug. I can read peoples energy and intentions through a simple prolonged hug. Get to hugging and enjoy your week. 

That's all today folks,
Peace & Love,
Mary 

References:
www.shape.com
www.mayoclinic.com
www.mercola.com
www.skinnymom.com
www.mindbodygreen.com


You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *