Peek a boo Pound Cake

/
0 Comments


Yesterday was my nephews 1st birthday party. Whenever I go to events I always like to bring a dessert. I usually go for low fat, low calorie treats, but since it's so close to the Holiday season I decided to do something I never ever do. I made a boxed cake!!! yuck yuck yuck. 

My Mother is to blame for my distaste of boxed desserts. She always ranted about the unneeded sugar content, added preservatives, and the high sodium count. I 100% agree with her reasoning, but I didn't have the time or energy to invest yesterday. 

If you  know  me, you know I wasn't going to make this easy. Check it out


Lets Talk 
Unhealthy Pee-A-Boo Pound Cake

  with brown butter pecan icing

Ingredients:

 

For the pound cake
  • 1 (14-ounce) box Gingerbread mix
  • 1 (16-ounce) box pound cake mix
  • Orange food coloring or red and yellow food coloring
For the icing
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
  • 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Directions:



Prepare pumpkin bread

Mix up gingerbread ingredients according to the directions on the box. Add orange food coloring to make it standout. 


Bake and cut

Bake in a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan according to directions. Remove from oven before completely done, about 8-10 minutes less than instructed. Let cool, remove from pan and refrigerate for up to four hours. Cut cold gingerbread into large slices. Cut heart shapes from slices.

Align them down the center of a lightly greased and floured 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.

Make pound cake

 
 
Mix up your pound cake batter according to the directions on the box. Pour over your gingerbread cutouts in the pan, making sure to cover the tops of the hearts. You may have more pound cake batter than you need. Try not to overfill the pan. Bake according to the directions on the box. Let cool when done.


Prepare icing


 

Meanwhile, prepare the brown butter pecan icing.
Put powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. In a saucepan, melt butter and boil, stirring until it starts to brown and form dark flecks on the sides and bottom.



Remove from heat. Pour the melted brown butter and flecks over the powdered sugar. Add the evaporated milk and vanilla. Stir until combined and creamy. Add more powdered sugar if it appears too runny or more evaporated milk if it seems too stiff.

Ice cake

 

Remove baked and cooled pound cake from pan and top with brown butter icing. Add chopped pecans, if desired.



The cake was hit. my heart shaped gingerbread cut-outs looked more like a triangle, but it was still pretty impressive. 

That's all today folks

These last few weeks have been a little unpredictable, I promise everything will be back to normal on Monday. 
Thanks for hanging in there with me
Blessings
Mary 




 


You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *