NOLA & Healthy Chicken Stew

/
0 Comments
 



Today is a great day; this will be the best week ever. Why??? It’s my birthday week!! I will be 31 on Thursday, and I’m looking forward to the big day.



I plan on relaxing all week, I can’t promise I will post everyday, but I will do my best.

Last weekend I went to New Orleans. I love that city, the music, the food, the people, the drinking, the nightlife, what’s not to love? 
Enjoy the pictures.










When we got home, and did the math, my boyfriend and I realized we will be traveling a lot these next few weeks. We both want to make sure we stay healthy, void jet lag and packing on extra holiday weight so early in the holiday season.

I’m heading to DC on Friday, then off to Ohio on Wednesday to spend Thanksgiving with my Sister. I should be back in Cali next Friday, but who knows what will happen.

I haven’t been cooking as much as I like to. My man usually doesn't complain, but when I asked if I should cook last night or order out he defiantly shared his opinion. Cook babe
Those 2 words were all I had to hear.

The weather is changing, yesterday was the perfect day for chicken stew. I know I always say everything I make is excellent, but this dish was extraordinary. The vegetables were perfectly tender, the potatoes where flavorful, and I was told, the chicken fell right off the bone.

Enjoy this recipe. I found it in a cookbook my Mother gave to me called  
Weight Watchers One Pot,the ultimate kitchen companion with over 300 recipes.

I didn’t fully follow the recipe, I’ll indicate what the recipe calls for and what I did instead. Enjoy

Chicken in White Wine
7 PointsPlus value, per serving
Serves 6



3 slices turkey bacon chopped
I used fake bacon, a morning star product, all the flavor for ½ the fat
1 (3 ½ -pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
I used drumsticks, was worried chicken breast would dry out
1 Onion Chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 head garlic, cloves peeled
1 tablespoon tomato paste
½ pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 cup frozen small onions
Couldn’t find these onions, used green onions instead
1 (14 ½-ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
½ cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
I used Traders Joes Vinas Chilenas Sauvignon Blanc 2013
½ pound small red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
used small buttery potatoes from Trader Joes
4 carrots, cut into 2-inch lengths
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

I purchased a Dutch Oven, for 50 bucks at Cost Plus World Market, just for this recipe. I can tell it's going to be a staple in my kitchen.



Heat nonstick Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring until crispy, about 5 minutes; transfer to paper towels to drain.
The only trick with Morning Star fake bacon is to make sure you don’t burn it, it looses all flavor if it's even slightly overcooked





Add chicken to Dutch oven, in two batches, and cook until lightly browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken to plate as it is browned
Since there is only one carnivore in our house, I cut the meat portion in half





Reduce heat to medium. Add chopped onion, celery and garlic to Dutch oven; cook, stirring, until vegetables are lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste until smooth. Add mushrooms and frozen onion; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add broth, wine, potatoes, and carrots; bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot. 
I added all vegetables and browned them at the same time. 


Return chicken and bacon to Dutch oven. Reduce heat and simmer, covered until vegetables are tender and juices run clear when chicken thigh is pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes.



Meanwhile, whisk together flour and water in small bowl until smooth. Stir in about ¼ cup of hot stew liquid until blended. Add liquid to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid bubbles and thickens, about 3 minutes. Serve sprinkle with parsley.

I like my chicken to have more color too it, once I let it boil for 20 minutes, I transferred the Dutch Oven to the oven and broiled it until the chicken had a nice color to it.
 




Per serving (1/6 of chicken and about 1 ½ cups vegetables with sauce); 295 Cal, 7g Total Fat, 2g Sat Fat, 0g Trans Fat , 96mg Chol, 360mg Sod, 22g Carb, 7g Sugar, 4g Fib, 33g Protein, 76mg Calcium

FYI Originally this classic chicken and red wine stew was prepared with a rooster. Slow cooking it in red wine ensure the very flavorful meat would become meltingly tender. Nowadays, chicken stand in for the rooster in this ever-popular recipe

This was one of the best chicken stews I've ever tasted. I know I will be make this for my children, when I have them. Its hearty and healthy.


That's All Today Folks
I'm off to enjoy a spa day full of nails, sugar waxing, and facials. 

Blessings  my Friends
Mary







You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *