What's in Season & Fitness Facts

/
0 Comments
 


Lets Talk Healthy Foods

It’s officially October, the holiday season is quickly approaching. This is my favorite time of year, I’m not crazy about Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years, but I love how this season tends to bring families together. You get to see relatives you haven’t seen since last year, catch up with family members you’ve been too busy to stay in contact with.

This year is a little different for me. I’ve been cooking more then I ever have and I’m enjoying every minute of it. I know it's important to cook foods that are in season. What fruits and vegetables are in season in October?








Apples, Beets, Blackberries, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chicory, Cranberries, Dates, Figs, Grapes, Leeks, Lettuce, Okra, Oranges, Parsnips, Pears (late season), Peppers, Pumpkins, Quince, Shallots, Star fruit, Sweet Potatoes, Turnips, Watercress

Benefits of Eating Fruits and Vegetables in Season

Fruits and vegetables in season are much more supportive of your health and the health of the planet.

When you purchase fruits and vegetables that are not in season:

  • They have traveled long distances
  • They are picked while immature, to ensure they don’t spoil while traveling
  • When vegetables and fruits are picked immaturely it affects the taste and smell of them, which causes vitamin degradation and nutrient loss

Earlier generations were only able to eat food according to the Earth’s natural seasons and cycles. Today we expect a bounty of produce at our disposal at all times.

Try to eat foods that are in season for you and the earth.

Lets talk Fitness Facts








Enjoy these random facts, I know I did. 

Blessings
Mary

References: http://gourmetfood.about.com/od/slowfoodorganiclocal/a/inseasonoctober.htm, http://bodyecology.com/articles/benefits_in_season.


You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *