All About Healthy Cooking

/
0 Comments


Lets Talk About Healthy Cooking

Today is all about food because I woke up starving. Everyday I eat oatmeal and flaxseed for breakfast, I love oatmeal, it keeps me full, it’s pretty tasty, and it makes me feel great.

This morning I realized I was out of oatmeal, and now I’m hungry. Looking in my cabinets I didn’t see anything else I wanted. I want my oatmeal.

I finally decided on strawberries and apples for breakfast, and now I’m happy.





Food is a huge part of my life. Not only do I love to cook, I love to eat. I hope you enjoy some of my favorite low fat – low calorie - gluten free recipes.

How to Roast a Bell Pepper

Roast peppers or chilies over gas flam, turning with tongs until charred






Transfer to a bowl, cover with a large plate and let stand until cool enough to handle






Scrape skins off with paring knife
DO NOT RUN ROASTED PEPPERS UNDER WATER

Remove and discard stems, ribs, and seeds

The hardest part was removing the burned skin off of the peppers.

Tortilla Espanola
 THIS IS GLUTEN FREE!!!



This potato, onion, and egg omelet is the national dish of Spain – and a tapas bar favorite.

My boyfriend studied in Spain for a semester in College, he loves Tortilla Espanola. I plan on making this for brunch next time his colleges friends are in town

½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 onion peeled and thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
5 large eggs


Preheat oven to 400°
Heat olive oil in an ovenproof 8-inch skillet over medium


Add potatoes, onions, and garlic – stir well. Press into an even layer with a spatula. Reduce heat to medium-low cover and cook for 10 minutes



Stir potatoes mixture, season with salt and pepper, and press again. Cover and cook for 10 minutes


Transfer to a colander set over a bowl and let drain, reserving oil. Wipe pan clean with paper towels


In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and season with salt and pepper.  
I added 3 green onions to my egg mixture, it needed more color


Stir in potato mixture. 


Heat 2 tablespoons reserved oil in same skillet over medium


Pour in egg mixture and gently press into a even layer. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook uncovered, 2 minutes.

Transfer skillet to oven and bake until eggs are set, about 5 minutes

To unmold, run a flexible spatula around edge of skillet; invert onto a serving plate or serve directly from pan.

Serve war or at room temperature

This is Gluten Free
Per serving: 249 calories, 17g fat, 3g saturated fat, 132mg cholesterol, 18g carbohydrates, 6g protein, 2g fiber

I loved this recipe. I’ve tasted Tortilla Espanola and wasn’t very impressed, but this one was awesome. My boyfriend finished the entire pie in one day. I love it when he does that.

Light Chocolate Chunk Brownies

Replacing butter with applesauce and reduced-fat sour cream lightens these brownies, while a double helping of chocolate means you won’t feel the least bit deprived. For the deepest flavor use high quality cocoa powder


2 tablespoons vegetable oil, safflower oil
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Brush 9inch square baking pan with oil; line with parchment, leaving an overhang on two sides. Brush parchment with oil

Heat half the chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted

Ina medium bowl, whisk together flour, coca powder, salt, and baking soda


In another bowl, whisk together brown sugar, applesauce, sour cream, melted chocolate, eggs, and oil unil combined

Add flour mixture and mix just until moistened

Spread batter in prepared pan; sprinkle evenly with remaining chopped chocolate

I couldn’t chopped my bittersweet chocolate, it was too hard, so I added dark chocolate chips to my brownies which was a great substitution

Bake until center of cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached; 30-35 minutes

Let cool completely in pan. Use paper over hang to life from pan; peel off paper and cut into 16 squares.

Brownies can be stored in airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.

Instead of a regular brownie pan I used mini muffin pans and heart shaped pans.

Per Brownie: 154 calories, 6.8g fat, 2.7g saturated fat, 2.8g protein, 24.3g carbohydrates, 1.7g fiber

That’s all folks
I hope you enjoy these recipes
HAVE A WONDER-FILLED WEEKEND
Blessings
Mary



References:  Meatless: Clarkson Potter publishing 2013, Food Everyday light, Clarkson Potter publishing 2011 









You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *