How to get some Discipline & The Physiology behind Challenges

/
0 Comments

Lets Talk Discipline

dis·ci·pline
ˈdisəplin/
noun
noun: discipline: the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behavior, using punishment to correct disobedience.
verb
verb: (someone) to obey rules or a code of behavior, using punishment to correct disobedience.

Discipline was never a issue in our house, my Father was a Drill Sergeant. He was actually a Drill Sergeant, and as loveable and fun as he is, he also had his “Drill Sergeant” side. I will admit, I loved both sides of my father. He didn’t go overboard, he taught us some serious discipline that I appreciate and use to this day. He taught me I could do anything I set my mind too, with a plan, and will power.

Most of my clients ask where I got my discipline from and how they can improve their discipline. This is not an easy task, but it's far from impossible. You can change anything in your life that you want; but you have to believe it first. 

I wasn’t successful in losing weight until I truly believe I could do it. Then I slowly worked on my discipline to make sure I exercised on a daily bases, and ate healthy food. It was not an over night process. It took me 7 years to get where I am today.

The only difference I can see between me and other people is that I didn’t give up. Even when I felt stupid, silly and like a loser, I never stopped believing. I somehow convinced myself that I could do anything, and my discipline took me the rest of the way.

I’ve used this article with my clients that have issues with discipline. I hope you enjoy it and it helps you along your journey.

How to Bring Discipline in Life

Talk to yourself first.


Try to convince yourself that you want to be disciplined for the purpose of believing in yourself, rather than just pleasing others.



Once you make the decision to do something, follow through no matter what.

 Often there will be moments when a lazy desire comes out and inhibits your work. Remember that these feelings are normal, and even the biggest achievers have them. The difference with them is not that they are somehow "better" than you. They just have a habit of catching these moments and deflecting them before they become significant.

Choose to behave and act with temperance.

Human behavioral traits are influenced by cultures, divergent attitudes, emotions, different values, and other social norms within a person's group or community. Be sure to behave politely and with a common sense in all situations.
Learn the basics of management.

From budgeting your finances to organizing a get-together, you will need to learn how to manage certain things on your own. It certainly doesn't entail the starting of a Fortune 500 company, but simply a sense of order in life. Do more things at a certain time, and start small. For example, take lunch after 12:00 PM and dinner after 8:00 PM.

Keep yourself neat and clean


This will not only benefit you, but it will also make you feel good. Cleanliness makes a big difference in how you feel emotionally and it will make your environment better and fresher for you.

Use appropriate gestures.

Communicate eloquently and assertively, and use appropriate gestures when there is a need to do so. Do not shout or use intensifiers in your speech. Discipline in the subtle arts of communication can make a difference in the discipline you exhibit in the more noticeable areas of your life.

Once you learn to do something correctly, keep doing it.

Make your regular routines as automatic as breathing.

Tips

  • Self discipline is not at you, it is in you. It is a quality, not a quantity. It can be brought in life, not bought in life.
  • You can never be a self-disciplinarian. Be a disciple of self-discipline and it will be a quality in you.
  • Keep yourself motivated, by reminding yourself of your reasons to go on.

Warnings

  • Try not to preach or pick at others for what may seem like a lack of discipline on their part. If what they fail to accomplish does affect you in some way, have a gentle talk with them. If it doesn't, let them deal with their own problems. You cannot change others, only yourself.
  • Don't overdo it. Signs of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) can occur in people who feel the need to put routine over common sense and well-being. If your routines startle or annoy others, that may be a sign to slow down.
  • Avoid burnout. Take things step-by-step rather than all at once. Even the slightest things can become backbreaking when piled up on one another.


Lets talk Fitness

I’m a avid pin(er) (Pinerest user) and it’s pretty hard not to run across 100s of challenges on a daily bases.

Ab challenge
Squat challenge
Bikini Challenge
Lunge Challenge
Burpee Challenge





The list goes on and on and on. Challenges seem to be more popular then ever and I want to know why? I participated in a Squat and Abdominal challenge a few months ago. I loved the results, it was fun and challenging, plus it felt like a great jump-start to my new workout routine.

This article answers my question, and also taught more about myself. Enjoy

Monday, January 30, 2012
Do fitness challenges really work?

Motivation to work out or train for a race can be hard to muster alone. Hence the popularity of fitness challenges, now offered at all kinds of yoga and fitness studios (and workplaces) that claim to deliver that needed extra dose of get up and go.

But does completing one really lead to sustained health and wellness in the long run?
“The fitness/health/diet process is complex and multifaceted,” says Bill Cole, the founder and president of the Mental Game Coaching Association and author of the forthcoming book The Mental Game Guide To Fitness And Weight Control. “If it was simple, anyone could do it, easily, on their own.”

Since a lot of us can’t, fitness companies try to do it for us, in lots of different ways.
The Flybarre Challenge includes 4 classes per weel for 6 weeks. 

Oliver Ryan, the founder of the online challenge community Social Workout, says that the social aspect of challenges is the key to motivating participants.

“There are huge amounts of evidence that social accountability is enormously motivating,” explains Ryan. “It’s about the public statement of a goal.”

And “goal-setting togetherness” doesn’t just encourage accountability, it also provides support. Team In Training, for instance, built its model of coaching individuals to conquer endurance challenges like triathlons and 100-mile bike rides around this concept—if team members are cheering you on, the challenge just won’t feel as painful.

Zhana Galjasevic, the owner of The Yoga Room, agrees. Galjasevic runs 30-day yoga challenges twice a year, in which, she says, students tend to motivate each other, and a sense of community builds at the studio.

Motivation can also come from regularly taking stock of your progress with someone besides your diary, finds Mahri Relin, one of the instructors who runs six-week Flybarre challenges at Flywheel. Participants are highly motivated by the numbers that measure change in their bodies. “Getting measured every week keeps people accountable to themselves,” says Relin. “They’re disappointing themselves if the numbers aren’t changing.”

But while challenges seem to be successful in motivating individuals to achieve short-term fitness goals, long-term fitness is not a guaranteed result.

How do you sustain the regimen after crossing the challenge finish line? According to Bill Cole, it’s about aligning your personal and social motivations. Accountability starts with you—but a little cheerleading doesn’t hurt. —Lisa Elaine Held


Enjoy your Monday friends
Blessings
Mary 

References: http://www.wikihow.com/Bring-Discipline-in-Life, http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/01/30/do-fitness-challenges-really-work/# 


You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *