What did you eat yesterday?

/
0 Comments

Hello All!
Squat Challenge Day 3 completed on 5/15/13
Ab Challenge Day 3 completed on 5/15/13

Todays posting is going to be all about food. I have been asked many times what I eat, how much I eat, how many calories I consume, how much protein I consume, and everything thing in-between, I totally understand why people are curious, I am the same way. I would love to know what Beyonce eats on a daily basis. What we eat directly affects how we look, how we feel, and how we communicate with others.

For a big portion of my adult life I lived off of fast food. I frequented Denny’s, Jack in the Box, Carrow’s, Wendy’s, and Burger King; but first love, the fast food joint that I gave my heart to was McDonalds. My love affair with McDonalds is different from most, at least I think it is. Growing up, my family didn’t eat McDonalds on a regular bases. It was a huge treat if we rolled through that red and yellow drive thru to obtain the best French fries in the world. I grew up in a family with deep Southern roots, instead of craving Big Macs and French fries, I craved Macaroni and cheese, fried chicken, gizzards & gravy, and liver & onions. Once I left home I curbed my appetite for super Southern foods, and enjoyed lots of baked chicken, white rice, mash potatoes, and top ramen. Every now and then, when I felt depressed, or home sick, I would deep fry chicken, or prepare liver and onions, but it was a very special treat for me.

While dating a man unworthy of my love, we moved into a house with no kitchen. I instantly knew it was going to be an issue, but my lover was more then positive that it was the perfect move for us. The house was beautiful, but I didn’t factor in 7 days a week 365 days a year of eating out. We became regulars of our local McDonalds. We went there every night, the staff knew us, and our order. I knew it was really bad when we would give the McDonalds staff old McDonalds trash we had stored in the car to depose for us. I was ashamed of our habit but I didn’t know anyway to stop it or make it better. I was stuck.

Surprisingly, this was the time of my life when I was my heaviest. The last time I weight myself I was 340 pounds, I know I gained about 20 more pounds, but I stopped shopping and weighing myself out of shame. I realized I had to change everything I was doing if I every wanted to loose weight and have the life that I always dreamed about. I knew it was time to change everything. But I couldn’t move, I couldn’t change the fact that we didn’t have a kitchen, or that we couldn’t afford much more than McDonalds for dinner. I had to find a way to eat at McDonalds but still loose weight.

After lots of trial and error I found healthier options, and slowy, slowy, slowy but surly the weight started coming off.

I am not a frequent customer of McDonalds anymore, but that time of my life taught me a lot. Just because you have to eat fast food, doesn’t mean you have to eat fast food. Wait… Does that make any sense. I’m trying to say that you can still make healthier choices when eating out. I live in California and pretty much very resturant and fast food joint is now required by law to have the calorie count of each meal in the eye shot of customers. That makes our lives a little bit easier, but it doesn’t stop us from craving the worst things on the menu, but that’s entirely different blog posting. Today is about food. What I eat, why I eat it and how I find ways to bend the rules.

Breakfast

If you have been following this blog for a while you know I have been searching for the correct breakfast to fuel energy packed days. For a while I was eating salmon for breakfast. Then I started eating salmon and raw vegetables, I stayed there for a while until I read an article about the effects of oatmeal, and why its good to start with oatmeal in the mornings. I started eating unflavored oatmeal, with honey, flaxseed, and blueberries. There are tons of postive reasons to eat oatmeal and here are a few of my favorites. Oatmeal helps lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Oatmeal can help you control your weight by slowing down your digestive process and making you feel fuller longer. For more oatmeal facts check out http://www.mrbreakfast.com/article.asp?articleid=27

Lunch

I seek salads for lunch, but sometimes it’s hard to find a good salad that’s not bogged down with wonton chips, cheese, and drenched in dressings. Yesterday my boyfriend and I visited Tartine Bakery for lunch. http://www.tartinebakery.com/ It was amazing! Tartine is one of the best bakeries in San Francisco. It has hot pressed sandwiches, soups, pastries, quiches, and just one salad. The salad looks pretty boring, its Star route organic lettuce and lemon shallot dressing, nothing exciting, nothing special, but oh so good. I chopped down my salad and escape the bakery without consuming anything sweet. Then we headed to another one of our favorite eattiers: Curry Up Now. www.curryupnow.com Curry Up Now serves Healthy Indian Street Food. I usually enjoy Khati rolls filled with spinach, onions, and a spicy sauce. Yesterday I stepped outside the box and got the Thali Platter with Panner Tikka Masala, and Saag ‘Ground Spinach’ Panner. 




OMG was it good. Here’s a before and after shot of my lunch, it looks like I didn’t eat, but I did, and it was yummmmmmy!

Just in case you didn’t know Paneer is a fresh cheese common in South Asian Cuisine.

Dinner



We decided to stay in the house and study last night, which means I got to cook dinner. My boyfriend is a meat eater, but I only consume fish, no meat for me. There is a lot of reasons why I stopped eating meat, but the main one is I don’t really crave it, and my body has issues processing it. I made him oven fried chicken breast, I wish I could tell you it was good, but since I didn’t get to taste it I can’t confirm my suspicions. My man told me it was excellent, but he always praises my cooking, as he should. For myself I prepared baked salmon, oven fried okra, and white corn. I also chopped up a few raw sweet peppers, to make sure my meal was well rounded. Everything was great, simple and delicious. It was the first time that I made oven fried okra and it was so good I didn’t have time to take a good picture of it. My boyfriend didn’t even get to taste them, they were that good. I started munching on them while they were still in the oven, once I started I couldn’t stop.

Food Food Food
Sometimes I’m afraid of it, sometimes I embrace it. I’m still looking for the correct diet for me. I always want to have variety and freedom when I eat. So far I’m doing pretty good, but I’m always reading, researching, and studying to make sure I’m giving my body the proper fuel.

I always try to follow my rule:
Eat good 80% of the time
Eat what you want 20% of the time

I hope you enjoyed my food journal as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you.

Mary’s Baked Salmon



Ingredients:
2-3 6oz protions of Salmon
Coarse salt
Coarse pepper
Olive oil cooking spray

Directions:
Heat oven to 450 degrees,
Spray pan with olive oil cooking spray
Place pan in oven as close to top rack as possible
Rinse salmon and dry pieces on paper towel
Season salmon skin with salt and pepper
Once pan is very very very hot, take out of oven
Place salmon (seaoned) skin down, pan should sizzle. (this will insure crispy skin)
Season top of salmon with more salt and peper
Spray Salmon with Olive Oil cooking spray
Place in over for 9-12 minuts or until salmon is firm to touch and lightly browned on top
ENJOY!

Oven Fried Okra



Ingredients:
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup frozen okra
Olive oil cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Spray cookie sheet with olive oil cooking spray
Combine corn meal, salt and pepper
Place okra in plastic ziplock bag
Add corn meal mixture and toss until all okra is coated
Spread okra in single layer in prepared pan
Back for 30-40 minutes or until crisp, turning occasionally

Calories 84.5, Calories from Fat 6, Total Fat 0.7g, Saturated Fat 0.1g, Cholesterol 0.0mg, Sodium 156.0mg, Total Carbohydrate 18.1g, Dietary  Fiber 2.9g, Sugars 0.7g, Protein 2.5g.


You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *