The facts about fat, and a Hearty Winter Soup

/
0 Comments
Hi Friends


It's raining!!! I love the rain. My creativity blooms when its raining, its the artist in me.  All I want to do today is make tea, create something beautiful. Instead, today will be filled with exercising, cleaning, unpacking, studying and making business calls. Oh well, in a perfect world I will be able to take off on rainy days. Soon Soon Soon. 

Lets talk about fat

Fats are the devil in many peoples minds, but thats not the right attitude to have, not all fats are bad. All of us need to eat some foods that contains fat. Fats in the body are called Lipids. Lipids produce energy and help transport vitamins around the body, among other things. 


Instead of running scared from all fats, educate yourself on good fats vs bad fat and eat accordingly. 

Lets talk about healthy recipes

I brought a new cookbook called Meatless. OMG it looks so good. I can't wait to make more then a few recipes. The pictures make me so hungry. 

Today feels like a soup and grilled cheese day.  If I have enough time, in my schedule, I'm  going to take a crack at this soup.

Hearty Winter Vegetable Soup
Vegan, Gluten Free,  contains no dairy, wheat, soy, or nuts 



Practically any vegetable can go into this soup - indeed, its a great way to use up whatever you have on hand. Serves 10

4 leeks, white and pale green parts only
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 celery stalks chopped
3 carrots chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 pinches of red pepper flakes
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
5-1/4 cups vegetable stock, preferably homemade
1 butternut squash peeled and diced
2 Yukon Gold potatoes, coarsely chopped
1 head escarole, cut into 1-inch-thick ribbons
1-1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh dill

- Halve leeks lengthwise and then cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces. 
- Wash well in several changes of water, then drain
- Heat Olive Oil in large Dutch Oven or heave pot over medium-high
- Cook leeks, celery, carrots, garlic, red pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon salt
- Stir occasionally, until leeks are translucent, about 5 minutes
- Add stock and 1-1/2 cups water and bring to boil
- Add squash and potatoes
- Return to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer partially covered, 
- Until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes
- Stir in escarole and chickpeas and return to boil- Stir in lemon juice and herbs
- Season with salt and pepper and serve

References: 
Juventis MedSpa
Meatless, from the kitchens of martha stewart living

Have a great day!
Blessings
Mary 


You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *