Feeding My Belly + Fitness Tips

/
0 Comments
 


It's hump day, we are half way to the promise land.

I hit a milestone yesterday. I pushed out 20 miles in 1 hour on the spin bike. I even got fancy and started doing abdominal exercises on the bike. 

It seemed like a good idea at the time, now my abdominals feel like they are ripping apart. Today is my killa killa killa workout that can take up to 3 hours to complete. Always looking for an excuse to skip it, I’m not going to give in, I’m going to complete this workout and feel 'Strong Like Bull' when I’m done. Looking forward to feeling the burn.

Lets Talk Healthy Cooking

I’ve been cooking a lot more lately. I’m enjoying creating new flavors and trying out new techniques. Plus I had a lot of left over cheese from my pizza excursion, this recipe uses both of the cheese I had in the fridge.

I’ve always wanted to know how to roast tomatoes. It was a lot easier that I thought it would be.

Oven Roasted Tomatoes

*Use a baking dish or pan big enough, do not crowd your tomatoes

*If you use a metal pan make sure its not aluminum that might react with acidic fruits

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
8-10 branches of fresh thyme
a few springs of fresh rosemary
fresh cracked salt and pepper
1 pound tomatoes, (8 small or 4 medium-sized)


   Preheat oven to 325°F


Pour Oil oil into a shallow baking dish or pan, add garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper


Cut tomatoes in half horizontally, remove stems, toss tomatoes with oil and seasonings, then lay them cut side down in dish


Bake for two hours, or until the tomatoes are completely softened, wilted and start to wrinkle.


*Depending on the tomatoes, they may take short or longer to cook.


All that work for this tasty meal


Eggplant Parmesan Stacks



I cut the recipe in half, since I was only feeding myself.

18 eggplant rounds ( ¼  inch thick at least 3 inches thick, about 3 eggplants)
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
3 plum tomatoes (about 1 ½ pounds) coarsely chopped
3 roasted tomatoes
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh oregano leaves, save some for garnish
1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced and torn into small pieces
3 ounces finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese ( ¾ cup)
Crushed Red Pepper flakes

-Preheat oven to 425°F.
-Season eggplant rounds with salt
-Heat 1 cup olive oil in large skillet over med-high
-Working in batches, fry eggplant rounds, turning once, until soft and pale golden. 1 to 1 ½ -minutes per side, drain on paper towels
-Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in skillet over med-high, add garlic and cook 20 seconds (do not let brown)
-Add tomatoes and season with salt. Cook down, 10-15 minutes, stir in chopped oregano and basil.
-Place 6 slices of eggplant on a rimmed baking sheet, top each slice with 1 tablespoon sauce and a few pieces of mozzarella, sprinkle with 2 teaspoons Parmigiano-Regiano cheese.
-Repeat layering twice
-Bake until heated through and cheese is bubbling, serve immediately, garnished with more oregano and red pepper flakes


These came out freaking perfect. I snacked a little while cooking, so when it came time to eat dinner I could only eat one of these stacks of love. It was delicious. Can’t wait to devour the rest of these for lunch.

Per Serving: 573 calories, 51.77g fat (11.07g saturated fat) 27.22mg cholesterol, 19.96g carbohydrates, 12.8g proten, 10.33g fiber

Lets Talk Fitness Tips

I’m constantly worried about fueling my body correctly before and after my workouts. I know how it feels when I don’t eat the correct foods, and my body starts shutting down. It’s a feeling a dread and disappointed all because the pain is self inflicted. I vowed to myself never to overwork and under fuel myself again.

These lists are pretty cool, they are a great starting point for me.


 

I’m obessesed with flat abdominals. My stomachs been looking pretty good, but there is always room from improvement. I’m going to add these three exercises into my routine.

You can't forget your cardio, this workout looks challenging and fun.


That’s all folks, time to get back to work…

Blessings,
Mary

References: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2012/05/oven-roasted-tomatoes-tomato-recipe/, Meatless: Clarkson Potter publishing 2013  






You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *