The Joy of Roasted Vegetables

/
0 Comments

Hi Friends!

Today is all about:

Roasting Vegetables




Everyone loves grilled vegetables during the summer time, at least I love them. I'm a veggie head and I seem to consume pounds of grilled veggies at pretty much every BBQ I'm invited to during the summer.  I enjoy them so much that I tend to crave grilled vegetables during the winter months.

Thats where roasting comes in...

The winter weather makes it the perfect time to spark up the oven and create a heart healthy, wholesome dish. The vegetables available in the fall are practically designed to be roasted.  

You can pretty much roast anything: 
Carrots, Onions, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, Turnips, Winter Squash, Green Beans, Eggplant, and much much more

Roasted vegetables are great for people trying to watch their weight. Roasting adds wonderful flavors to dishes without adding a lot of fat and calories.

Why Roast Vegetables




The process of roasting brings out the natural sweetness in vegetables and intensifies their natural flavors. 

Roasted Veggies are tantalizing to most of the senses: sight, taste, smell, and even touch

Roasting certain vegetables increase the bio-availability of the nutrients in them. ie - You get more carotenoids from carrots when you roast them rather than steaming or sautéing them. 

Cooking vegetables without water leaches fewer nutrients from them 

Roasting vegetables without heavy oils keeps the calorie count down

Roasting vegetables are simple enough for a ultimate non-cook to master

Roasted vegetables are delicious. This cooking technique draws out their natural sweetness and also adds a romantic smokiness

How to Roast Vegetables
  
Tips
Roast one type of vegetable at a time until you learn cooking times on vegetables to assure not to overcook

Roast vegetables at 375F degrees to 500F degrees, try to keep it between 400F - 425F depending on your oven

Try to cut vegetables roughly the same size, smaller pieces cook faster and larger pieces take longer

Vegetables shrink once roasted, a pound serves about 2-3 people

Find your baking/roasting pan. I like to used my cast-iron skillet for roasting, it adds color to the vegetables because it heats evenly. There are many roasting pans on the market, invest and one experiment

Master Roasting Recipe
Hands on time - 10 minutes 
Time to table - 60 minutes 
Serves 3-4

1 pound vegetables
1 teaspoon olive oil (or more to taste)
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Wash vegetables well under cold running water

Trim vegetables, cutting away stems, roots, and rough edges. Cut into even pieces

Placed washed cut vegetables in big bowl and coat evenly with olive oil, turing veggies several times to evenly coat with oil 

Season with salt and pepper and turn vegetables again

Arrange vegetables on single even layer in roasting pan, separating pieces to allow for airflow between

Place in oven 

Roast for 30-60 minutes. Checking 1/2 through to toss and check done(ness). After that check every 5 minutes until done

The Vegetables are done when they are cooked through, centers soft and creamy and outer edge golden and crispy 

Check out my dinner last night, roasted brussel sprouts and green beans, it was very very very good. 




Thats all today folks
I hope you enjoy today posting. I'm going to devour the rest of my roasted veggies for lunch today. 

Blessings
Mary 

References:
www.kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com
www.os.care2.com
www.webmd.com











You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *