My Favorite Exercises - That Can be Done Anywhere & Mavericks Surf Contest

/
0 Comments

Hi Friends

Today is all about: 

My Favorite Exercises 
That Can be Done Anywhere 
Mavericks Surf Contest

I'm starting to workout outside more. I've been traveling a lot lately and when I get back into town the last thing I want to do is exercise inside. It could also have something to do with the amazing weather around the Bay Area recently. With highs of 72 degrees, it makes me remember why I never relocated to the east coast. 

Nestled at Lyon and Green, lined with multi million dollar mansions, active birds, and other people trying to master these concert butt lifters are the Lyon Street Steps. There are 260 stairs broken up in 3 different sets. The first sets of steps will kick your butt and challenge your cardio endurance, the 2nd set seems like it was made for active recovery, the third set of steps are manageable, but they still burn. 

I started running these bad boys this week, and I plan on keeping them in my workout routine for a while. There is something about workout outside that makes me happier, which makes me workout out that much harder. 


My Favorite Exercises 
That Can be Done Anywhere

Since I have my cardio workout under control, it's time for me to add in some of my favorite exercises that can be done anywhere. I have to make sure I'm getting a full body workout, even when I'm not in the comforts of my local gym. 

Here is a list of my favorite exercises that can be done anywhere. Check them out and get comfortable with them, they will be part of the Fitness Challenge this Monday.

Enjoy!

Single Leg Touchdowns
Targets: Legs, Core, & Balance



How to Complete the Exercise
  • Stand balanced on one leg
  • Posture is neutral, back should not be over arched or rounded
  • Slowly bend at the hips, knees, and ankles
  • Reach down and touch the outside of your supporting legs foot with the opposite hand
  • Return to starting position
  • Keep Core Tight
  • REPEAT 
Tips
  • If you are initially unable to reach all the way down to your toe without falling over try reaching mid-shin, or as far as you can comfortably go instead
Stability or Medicine Ball Draw-Ins
Targets: Core, Hamstrings, & Balance




How to Complete the Exercise
  • Lie on back with your heels and the bottom halves of your calves on a ball, toes pointing towards the ceiling
  • Place your arms straight out to your sides palms on the floor
  • Squeeze your glutes and press your hips up towards the ceiling so your body is in a straight line from your Chest to your ankles
  • Keep Core Tight
  • Slowly exhale while bringing the ball in towards your body by bending your knees
  • Draw the Ball in as far as you can then slowly return to starting position
  • REPEAT
Tips  
  • Keep your knees lined up with your ankles and do not let your hips sink or hike up at all during the exercise
  • Hips should be level the entire time
  • Draw-ins will put your hamstrings and core to the test 
Dead lifts
Targets: Hamstrings, Booty/Glutes, & Lower-back 


How to Complete the Exercise
  • Stand holding a dumbbell (or heavy bottles of water) in each hand with arms shoulder-width apart, hanging straight down
  • Position legs shoulder-width apart and knees slightly bent
  • Squeeze shoulders blades together in back and keep your chest high
  • It is very important to keep your upper body in this position throughout the entire exercise
  • Tighten your torso * INHALE * slowly bend forward from the hips, pushing your butt back
  • Keeping your shoulder blades retracted and chin tucked, slide the dumbbells down legs and bend down as far as you can go **but not father then mid-shin, until you can feel a stretch in your hamstrings
  • Pause fro a second at the bottom * EXHALE * Squeezing your glutes and return to starting position 
  • As you raise visualize the hinging motions of your glutes powering your lift. 
  • REPEAT
Tips
  • Protect your back in the following ways: 
    • Go Slow - Dead lifts should not be done quickly
    • Do Not let your back round - Keep it arched throughout the exercise
    • If you are unable to keep shoulders back and chest high you maybe going down to far 
Up Downs
Targets: Arms, Shoulders, Chest, Back & Core 



How to Complete the Exercise 
  • Start in plank position - Spine Neutral, head and hips in straight line
  • Arms are directly under shoulders, Core Tight, feet slightly closer then shoulder-width apart
  • Keeping your care tight, lower your left arm until you are resting on your forearm
  • Then Slowly lower your right are until you are resting on your forearm
  • Lift left arm and push yourself back up until resting on your hand
  • Lift right arm and push yourself back up until resting on your hand
  • You should be back in the starting plank position
  • Repeat starting with opposite side
Tips
  • Keep Core Tight throughout the entire exercise  
  • Do this exercise on a mat, forearms can get sore
  • Make sure your hips don't sag or arch
  • Body should stay in neutral alignment throughout the entire exercise 

Try out these exercises, you will see them in a couple of days... :) 

Mavericks Surf Contest

I've lived in Northern California all of my life, and I have heard countless stories about the mavericks Surf Contest. The stars have never aligned allowing me at attend the actual event, since spectators are not really allowed, but that doesn't mean I'm any less excited about the event. 

The announcement went out yesterday the contest is going to be Today!!!




Here are some facts about Mavericks if you have never heard of the best surfing contest in the world

The waves at Mavericks gets there shape from under water rock formations and caves

The Contest is held only once a year and is an invite only event

This year the waves are predicted to reach over 40 feet
Only 24 of the worlds greatest surfers are invited

The contestents only have 24 hours to get to Half Moon Bay and surf these legendary waves

After riding a Maverick wave surfers can be underwater up to 5 minutes 

I'm going to catch the contest on TV today. Perfect start to an awesome weekend. 

Have a wonderful weekend friends
Blessings
Mary 

References
www.bodyforlife.com
www.equinoxsurfboards.com
www.huffingtonpost.com


 

 
 



  






You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *