Whole Wheat Recipes

/
0 Comments
Hi Friends,

The power was restored to my house at 3am, over 1,100 people were without power last night. There was another storm today that knocked out my Internet connection. Surprisingly I got an appointment for a technician tomorrow at 8pm. All this to say, I'm writing this post on my iphone. 

I just couldn't let anymore time past without sharing these recipes with you.

This weeks nutrition challenge is to eat more whole wheat. For some reason I've been dying to try to make bread, the challenge is the perfect excuse to play with a little dough.

This recipe was simple to follow, and it came out delicious, soft, crispy, and flavorful. Not to mention it only took about 1 hour.

I will admit it's not as fluffy as regular focaccia made with enriched bleached white flour. Remember this is an healthy alternative to fociccia bread. It really satisfied my craving and allowed me to show off some cooking skills.

Rosemary Whole Wheat Focaccia

1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour 
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1-1/4 cup warm water (temp must be between 130-140 degrees, to ensure the yeast will activate)
5 tbs olive oil, divided
2 tbs rosemary (fresh or dried, I used fresh rosemary)

 In a bowl mix all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, and yeast

Mix in warm water and 3 tbs olive oil until dough is moist

Stir in 1-1/2 cup while wheat flour and mix dough until it starts pulling away from the sides of the bowl
 Remove the dough and knead in the last 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour


Form the dough into a ball and brush with olive oil, cover with parchment paper and a warm towel

 Let it rise for 10-15 minutes

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a baking sheet

Punch down dough 


Place dough on sheet and shape dough with hands, until dough is about 1/2 inch thick

Sprinkle rosemary and sea salt on top

Poke holes in with index finger or the end of the spoon

Brush with olive oil and bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden


The bread turned out chewy, moist, and slightly crunchy. Anyone can make it.

Chicken Italian Sausage Scampi



8oz uncooked wheat pasta 
12oz broccoli florets (about 2 cups)
Cooking Spray
1 pound chicken or turkey spicy Italian sausage
1 tbs butter substitute
2 tsp olive oil
10 cloves minced garlic
3/4 cup vegetable stock
1 tbs water
2 tsp cornstarch 
1 red bell pepper, diced 
1 orange bell pepper, diced 
Salt, pepper, chili flakes to taste 
1oz Parmesan cheese shaved or grated, about 1/4 cup


Cook pasta according to package directions

Add broccoli in last 2 mins of cooking and drain, then rinse with cold water


Place sausages in pan and cook for 10 minutes on each side, until cooked through 

Slice sausages and set aside


Heat pan over med-low heat and add butter, oil, garlic, and sauté for 1 minute



Add stock, bring to boil, scraping the pan for any  brown bits

 Combine 1 tbs water and cornstarch in a small bowl

Stir cornstarch mixture into stock mixture

Cook 1 minute 

Stir sausage into pasta mixture and add diced peppers 

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese 
Serve immediately



417 cals, 9.8g fat, 3.6g Mono, 1.5g Poly, 29.7g protein, 53g carbs, 4.8g fiber, 157mg Chol, 3.4mg iron, 476mg sodium

I usually don't make meat dishes but I want to change that. There is nothing wrong with a little protein with your whole wheat pasta. 

I made a hearty pasta dish and fresh focaccia bread in about 2 hours. Both were delicious and easy to make. A Win Win.

That's all today folks
Blessings
Mary 


You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *