Workout Update & Whole Wheat Panzanella Salad

/
0 Comments
Hi Friends,

It's another beautiful day in Northern California. I skipped my workout because I felt like it. It’s always good to give your body a break. I’ve been obsessed with Bikram Yoga for the last few years and thought I would do Bikram for the rest of my life. To my surprise, my yoga studio switched up the schedule and I attended my first power yoga class last week. I’m hooked, I love-love-loved power yoga and can’t wait to attend more classes.

I used to find comfort in doing the same poses every time, knowing what to expect, no surprises, no variety, that’s Bikram. Power yoga has changed my world. The room is heated, there is music, and you flow, following the instructor and whatever she/he decides to do that day, everyday is different. There is a lot more core work than in Bikram which is always a good thing in my book, plus I’m not in competition with my fellow classmates, which is usually how I feel in Bikram.

I’m hooked on Power yoga. I want it all day, everyday. I will admit I’m a little annoyed with my yoga studio. They changed the schedule 2 weeks ago and added and changed most classes to Power Bikram, an amended version only 60 minutes long. Original Bikram is 90 minutes and I would like to stay true to the Original Bikram way. I’m not sure what I’m going to do about it yet. It’s $99 a month for unlimited yoga, at the rate of $20 a class I need to make it to at least 5 classes to get my moneys worth. I make it to about 2 classes a week so I’m saving money.

I’m also looking into Pilates ProWork. It’s a new age Pilates studio that has TRX Suspension Training, classic Pilates, as well as Pilates reformer and Barre Classes. I’ve always wanted to do Pilates, it’s an overall challenging and result based workout that’s hard yet effective.  Their unlimited membership is $210  a month which is too rich for my blood, but I might purchase a few classes a month just to switch everything up and keep me excited about my workouts. 

I’ve lost a few pounds, my stomach has shrunk but my thighs aren’t going anywhere. My legs are the hardest to slim but I’m not giving up, I’ll get there sooner rather than later, even if sooner is 6 months. I’ve kept my diet clean the past few weeks and I can tell the difference. My workout schedule is random but effective and that’s all that matters to me. My random means exercising 5-6 days a week yoga, cardio & strength training doing what I feel like when I feel like it, no rigid schedules for me. 

Continuing with this weeks Anti-Cancer Diet theme I made a delicious whole wheat Panzanella Salad  last night that was to die for. I usually avoid all bread because it bloats me, but I realize a healthy diet includes whole grains. Here’s my attempt at eating whole grains! The salad was delicious and easy to make. The hardest part was cutting and toasting the bread, my kind of recipe. 

I found a great whole wheat artisan loaf at Whole Foods that so scrumptious even The boyfriend noticed. It’s multi-grain you can see nuts and seeds throughout the bread which has a savory, crunchy flavor, perfect for croutons. 

WHOLE WHEAT PANZANELLA SALAD



1 loaf Whole Wheat Artisan bread
1 package, 2-3 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half, or 2-3 heirloom tomatoes cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 cucumber, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
1 red and yellow bell pepper, but into bite size pieces
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup thinly sliced basil

Combine red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper into small bowl or small mason jar. Whisk ingredients in bowl well, or shake small mason jar vigorously

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Thinly slice red onions and soak in cold water for at least 10 minutes

Cut or tear bread into bite sized pieces 
Place on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp on the outside and soft on inside
For a crunchier croutons bake longer

Add Cucumbers, bell pepper, croutons and red onions to large bowl

Drizzle dressing onto salad and toss well

Allow salad to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to combine

Top with thinly sliced basil and toss well

*Add shaved parmesan cheese for a kick 

Devour!!!
Processed with Moldiv

Processed with Moldiv

Processed with Moldiv

Processed with Moldiv

Processed with Moldiv

Processed with Moldiv

Processed with Moldiv

Processed with Moldiv

XOXO,
MARY 




You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *