Muir Woods & My New Exercise Routine

/
0 Comments


Hi Friends!!

I hope you had a great weekend. I know I did.

Lets Talk Hiking Muir Woods

When you live in San Francisco you have a million and one adventures at your fingertips. I've always wanted to go hiking at Muir Woods and this weekend I finally crossed it off of my bucket list. 

Just in case you don't know what Muir woods is I'll give you some background. 

Redwood-like trees covered much of the Northern Hemisphere 150 million years ago. As the climate changed, the range of the redwood shrank. Now there are two species of redwood in California, with very limited ranges. The coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) grows on a thing and discontinuous 500-mile strip of Pacific Coast from southern Oregon to Big Sur. 

Most ancient coast redwoods have been cut but some are protected in Redwood National and State Parks, in many California and Oregon state parks and here in Muir Woods National Monument. This canyon of redwoods were never logged. Its forest of mixed-age and dead trees supports a biologically rich community of plants and animals.

The tallest trees in Muir woods are over 252 feet and the widest over 14 feet. Some redwoods are at least 1,000 years old. Most mature trees are 500 to 800 years old. 

That's the history of Muir Woods taken right out of their free brochure. I was amazed at the sheer size of the trees. Not only are they the trees big, the air is fresh, and the hikes are slightly challenging.

Check out my pics. 
Please excuse my leggings, I had on 3 layers that day, it was soooo cold in Muir Woods. 










Even if your not a seasoned hiker, or avid exerciser, you can still complete the easy hikes. Just take it slow, but push yourself. The hills were slightly steep, but nothing that a beginner couldn't handle. 

Lets Talk New Workout Plan

Its been cold in the Bay Area, a lot colder then I'm used to. I'm talking 30-40 degrees. I was just in Ohio a few weeks ago battling snow and 10-20 degree weather but I wasn't prepared to deal with it at home.

I wanted to get out on the walking trail a lot more these last few weeks, but exercising in the cold just isn't my forte.

I know new years is coming up soon, and I'm also planning on attending the Super Bowl this year, so I can't really gain any "holiday weight". Since I'm not attending any holiday parties, I thought this would be a simple task. 

Staying on my clean diet, working out 5 days a week, drinking plenty of water, and eating my daily required amount of fruits and vegetables should do the trick. But for some reason my body is craving more. I need a challenge. Not just any old challenge I need to try something new. 

I am a firm believer that you will never move forward if you don't make yourself uncomfortable. I'm pretty comfortable with everything I just describe, my everyday workouts, healthy eating, blah blah blah blah blah...

Its time to take it up a notch. Check out my new workout routine and tell me what you think

I make a meager living as a personal trainer, but most times I don't enjoy writing my own workout routines. I would rather someone else write them for me. I wish I could afford my own trainer, but that's not in my budget right now. 

I purchased The Women's Health Big Book of Abs

I like this book because it gives you over 500 different full body exercise, that target your abdominal without one silly crunch. No crunches in this book. I like that. I feel like I've done enough crunches for the entire city of San Francisco these last few years. I'm looking for new exercises to challenge my entire body, not just my core.

Last week was my first week and boy did it kick my booty. I've been walking around like a zombie for the last 7 days. Everything on my body hurts from my abdominals, to my calfs, and everything in between. 

If you know me, then you know I'm loving this new challenge. These new exercises are hard, but doable, and pain/soreness = results

I love results
I live for results 

*the workouts in the book is not for beginners. I'm somewhat an advanced exercise enthusiast and it challenged every technique I have developed

Monday: 
Quick 3-5 warm up
Abs Workout A

20 inch warms with push-ups 
and deep squat at end

20 reverse lunges with a reach


Abs Workout A
Alternating Dumbbell Chest Press on Swiss Ball
12 reps each side, 3 Sets

Swiss Ball Jackknife
10 reps, 3 sets


Unsupported One-Arm Dumbbell Row
15 reps each arm, 3 set

Complete 1 set of each exercise
once you've complete all 3 exercises rest for 2 minutes and repeat this process two more times for a total of 3 sets 
Rest for 2 minutes and go on to the next exercise group

Squat Thrust
10-15 reps, 3 sets

Single-Leg Dumbbell Deadlift
12 reps on each leg, 3 sets

Jumping Lunges
20 reps, 3 sets

Complete 1 set of each exercise
once you've complete all 3 exercises rest for 2 minutes and repeat this process two more times for a total of 3 sets 
Rest for 2 minutes and go on to the next exercise group

Dumbbell pullover on swiss ball
10-12 reps, 3 sets

Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extensions
6-10 reps, 3 sets

Single-Leg Squat
10 reps on each leg, 3 sets


Complete 1 set of each exercise
once you've complete all 3 exercises rest for 2 minutes and repeat this process two more times for a total of 3 sets 
Rest for 2 minutes and go on to the next exercise group

Thrusters
10-12 reps, 3 sets


Swiss Ball Plank with Feet on Bench
Hold for 60 seconds, 3 sets

Bodyweight Squats
10-12 reps, 3 sets

DONE!

Tuesday:
45-60 minutes of cardio

Wednesday:
 Quick 3-5 minute warm up
60 seconds jumping jacks
60 seconds Blurpees
60 seconds jumping jacks
60 seconds Blurpees

Abs Workout B
Off Set Dumbbell Lunge
20 reps each side, 2 Sets



Mountain Climbers
12 reps each side, 2 Sets

Swiss Ball Rollout
10-15 reps, 2 Sets

Swiss Ball Jackknife
8-10 reps, 2 Sets

Underhand Grip Rear Lateral Raise
10 Reps, 2 Sets 

Complete 1 set of each exercise
once you've complete all 5 exercises rest for 2 minutes and repeat this process one more time for a total of 2 sets 
Rest for 2 minutes and go on to the next exercise group

Negative Chinup
(Since I don't have a chin-up or pull up bar in my home I did 20 pushups instead)
10 reps, 4 sets

Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift
15 reps, 4 sets

Jump Squat
As many as possible in 30 seconds, 4 sets

Rolling Side Plank
As many as possible in 45 seconds, 4 sets

Complete 1 set of each exercise
once you've complete all 4 exercises rest for 2 minutes and repeat this process one more time for a total of 4 sets 
Rest for 2 minutes and go on to the next exercise group

Dumbbell Chest Press on Swiss Ball
10-12 reps, 3 sets

Step-up and Single-Arm Press
15 reps each side, 3 sets

Single Arm Reverse Lunge and Press
8 reps each side, 3 sets


Complete 1 set of each exercise
once you've complete all 3 exercises rest for 2 minutes and repeat this process one more time for a total of 3 sets 
Rest for 2 minutes and go on to the next exercise group

Dumbbell Lunge to Curl to Press
6 lunges each leg 
12 total curls and presses
4 sets

Thursday:
45-60 minutes of Cardio

Friday:
ABs workout A

Saturday:
45-60 minutes of Cario

Sunday:
REST!

*I used 8 pound dumbbells

WARNING!!!
These exercise are advance. If you want to do this routine please contact me for correct alignment and set-up to ensure you will not injure yourself. All exercises are preformed at your own risk

That was the first week of my new routine. It really kicked my butt and left me wanting more. 
This week my workout looks pretty much the same, instead of 2 days of Ab workout A, I'll be completing 2 days of workout B and one day of workout A

I love being your test dummy so stick with me and I'll let you know if this works or not. I have a feeling it's working already. 



That's all today folks
have an awesome Monday
Blessings
Mary








 

 


 




You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *