Homemade Graham Cracker & Marshmallows

/
0 Comments
Hi Friends

I spent the day looking for one last present, I wasn't successful in my search so it's a good thing that I have another day. No matter how hard I try or how many lists I make I always end up searching for the perfect gift on Christmas eve. Oh well, it is what it is, I really hope I can figure it out. 

I spent a lot of time making DIY gifts this year and I've shared most of the recipes with all of you. Today is the last recipe I'm sharing and it my favorite one. 

I made S'more kits with homemade marshmallows and graham crackers. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it really wasn't that bad at all. 

This years my marshmallows turned out light and fluffy, 1000% better then last year. I'm still mastering the graham cracker recipe, practice makes perfect and they just aren't perfect yet.

Both recipes found at www.americastestkitchen.com 

1-1/2 cups graham flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
5 tablespoons water
5 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract  
Parchment paper 


Adjust oven rack to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 375 degrees
Process graham flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in food processor until combined
I used a mixer and it worked just fine

Add butter and process until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal

Add water, molasses and vanilla and process until dough comes together

Divide dough into quarters, working with 1 piece of dough at a time (keeping remaining pieces covered with plastic wrap) roll out dough between into 11 by 8-inch rectangle, 1/8 inch thick
none of my dough came out in a perfect rectangle so don't worry about being perfect

Bake crackers until golden brown and edges are firm, about 15 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking

Once cooked carefully use cookie cutter to cut crackers

Slide baked crackers onto wire rack and let cool completely 

Repeat with remaining pieces dough

Transfer cooled cracker to cutting board 

Graham crackers can be stored at room temperature in airtight container for up to 2 weeks

Makes 48 crackers




2/3-cup confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 cup cold water
2-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
2/3 cup light corn syrup
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
vegetable spray
food thermometer 
foil
Spray cookie sheet with vegetable oil spray
Pour 1/2 cup cold water into bowl of stand mixer, fitted with whisk. Sprinkle gelatin over water. Let stand until gelatin becomes very firm, about 15 minutes


Combine corn syrup and remaining 1/2 cup of cold water in medium saucepan

Pour granulated sugar and salt into center of saucepan (do not let sugar hit pan sides) bring to boil over medium-high heat, and cook gently swirling saucepan until sugar has dissolved completely and mixture registers 240 degrees, 6 to 8 minutes 







Turn mixer speed to low and carefully pour hot syrup into gelatin mixture, avoiding whisk and bowl

Gradually increase speed to high and while until mixture is very thick and stiff, 10-12 minutes, scraping down bowl as needed. Add vanilla and mix until incorporated about 15 seconds

Working very very very quickly
scrap mixture evenly into prepared pan using greased rubber spatula, smoothing top
Cover and let sit overnight or until firm at room temperature until firm

Lightly dust cutting board with 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar mixture and lightly coat chefs knife with oil spray. 

Turn marshmallow slab out onto cutting board Sift 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar mixer over slab

Cut into 1-inch-wide strips and then cut crosswise into 1-inch squares. 

Working with 3 or 4 marshmallows at a time, toss marshmallows in bowl with remaining confectioners sugar mixture, then toss in strainer to remove excess powder

Marshmallows can be stored at room temp in airtight container for up to 2 weeks. 

Makes about 90 marshmallows

That's all I have for you guys today,
Peace & Love, 
Mary 



You may also like

No comments:

About

My name is Mary! I was obese for most of my life, around 7 years ago I decided to take control of my life and successfully lost over 150 pounds. But that's just the beginning of my journey. Join me as I evolve into the person I was born to become. I love to cook, craft, read, and make people smile. I'm happy you've stumbled on by. Let’s Evolve Together.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *